motor generator & DC Motor lubrication
Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default motor generator & DC Motor lubrication

Searched the forum but did not find the answer: how many lubrication points are there for DC motor and motor generator?

On my 49 10EE, there are two zerks on pipe extensions, one appears to go to either the front bearing in the DC generator, or the rear bearing in the AC drive motor. The other goes to the rear bearing for the 3HP Reliance drive motor.

However, the manual I have (for a 58 Wiad machine) has this to say:

Motor Generator and Exciter (Back of cover - three grease fittings - see footnote). The footnote says: No longer furnished. Electronic converter now standard.

Main drive motor Grease every 12 mos. Sealed bearings, use caution to prevent seal blowout.

So I seem to be missing some grease points.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Very little, the damage that grease on the brushes will do is ugly...1 pump every 2 years...Phil

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Montana View Post
    Very little, the damage that grease on the brushes will do is ugly...1 pump every 2 years...Phil
    Good point. On my machine, the only fitting is at the rear end of the DC motor and DC generator. No fittings on the exciter or the brush end of the other two. So maybe they eliminated fittings due to the problem you mention. Need to disassemble the units to lube the other bearings.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rimcanyon View Post
    Good point. On my machine, the only fitting is at the rear end of the DC motor and DC generator. No fittings on the exciter or the brush end of the other two. So maybe they eliminated fittings due to the problem you mention. Need to disassemble the units to lube the other bearings.
    "Brush end" of a round-dial's MG has a short pipe with a Zerk to the spider frame, bearing & brush-end being at the TS-end hatch.

Piggyback exciter brush-end is directly above it, no pipe, Zerk right into the casting.

That's on my '44. The "SSD'ed" '42's former MG is running some other Pilgrim's 10EE long-since. I palletized another one as well, but do not remember what is on the AC motor "fan end", and it is too nasty a task to crawl in and look at either that or the HS-ward end of the piggyback exciter atop it inside the belly of my '44.

I DO "seem to recall" the exciter has a grease fitting operator side of the end frame, HS-ward end?

As to final-drive motor, three of my four have the gearboxes mounted, but one happens to be separated, so...:

Final-drive 3 HP large-frame has pipe IN and screw cap for purged grease egress at TS-ward end-bell. Open that exit cap before pumping in grease, pump 'til clean, and it stays in the reservoir, no slop.

NB: Bearings aren't really meant to HAVE that much grease, but I'm not one to argue with what has JF run since 1942, so I've NOT gone over to sealed bearing replacements.

As to the end at the brushes and gearbox flange, the bearing is, AFAIK, sealed only at the brush carrier side, is visibly unsealed, gearbox & gearlube side, ergo lubed by slosh, splash drip, and run (a firm of Lawsters, izzat?) of the gearbox oil supply, not by grease.

2C, One MG, four large-frames worth.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Bill, but as I said, I see nothing in those locations on the 49. Would like to hear from someone with a similar vintage machine to mine, or newer. If you have the grease fittings, please post a photo.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Bill, but as I said, I see nothing in those locations on the 49. Would like to hear from someone with a similar vintage machine to mine, or newer. If you have the grease fittings, please post a photo.
    '49 could have been entry to "sealed bearings" era, then?

Plugged at the old locations, I'd class user/rebuilder solution.

Never drilled would not be an oversight. Factory bearing choice change, rather.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Dave,

My 1948 square-dial DC motor has a brass tag on it that calls for greasing the motor twice a year. It also states that the bearings are double-shield ball bearings. I think the tag only applies to the rear bearing; it appears that the motor's front bearing is lubricated by oil from the back-gear unit. Looking at the back of the motor, there's a threaded hole for a grease fitting at 9 O-clock and a plug to let out excess grease at 4 O'clock.

img_9923.jpg

The front bearing is a Federal 207 FF. I don't know about the rear bearing.

Cal

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks, Cal.

That is an interesting plate. It says ... force in grease until just ⅛ inch comes out any hole of the keystone fitting.

I googled keystone fitting, but its meaning is unknown to Google...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't know either. I think you're supposed to pull the plug at 4 O'clock and add grease until a bit comes out the plug side, but there's only one hole there, so "comes out any hole" makes no sense.

Cal

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks, Cal.

That is an interesting plate. It says ... force in grease until just ⅛ inch comes out any hole of the keystone fitting.

I googled keystone fitting, but its meaning is unknown to Google...
    Not "unknown". Just pre-internet. 1954 the most-recent version patented.

Grease relief fitting - KEYSTONE LUBRICATING COMPANY

Keith's site had a trail on "Keystone:

Keystone Lubricating Co. - History | VintageMachinery.org

..that led to:

Keystone Lubricants Div., Elf Lubricants North America, Inc.

Elf then became part of "Total". Outta France, IIRC?

11. Likes rimcanyon liked this post