What's new
What's new

Mounting my taper attachment but no dowel holes?

Mr_CNC_guy

Cast Iron
After cleaning up and painting my 10ee I come to mounting the taper attachment.
However I notice that the taper attachment is drilled and reamed for taper pins
but the saddle is not.

The taper attachment with the pin;
DSC02523.jpg

One side of the saddle mounting position;
DSC02524.jpg

The other side;
DSC02525.jpg

Everything;
DSC02527.jpg

Are these mismatched parts? Did Monarch sell taper attachments as accessories
that could be added later? Hence no dowel pin holes?

Not impossible Monarch sold the T/A after the fact, but I would guess that the previous lathe owner purchased it second hand to do an upgrade.

All T/A I've seen are dowel pinned. Typically you would sort out a real nice alignment of the T/A with bolts snug to allow a little tapping with a dead blow to align. Once aligned, and bolts tight, now drill through t/a and into saddle and hammer your alignment dowels in.

Just my 2 cents, but I think taper pins should not be used here. You want dowels.

As far as I know, the dowel pins and taper pins were match drilled once the assembly had been aligned to the machine. Your machine probably never had the a taper attachment (TA), which is good for you, since the holes from a TA that was once installed on machine A are unlikely to align with the holes drilled while installing a TA on machine B.

I would expect a "virgin" TA to have no tapered holes in it. At most, it would have undersized holes intended to be drilled and reamed to size during the alignment and installation process. Any taper pin holes would be reamed once the assembly was bolted and doweled in place.

Cal

After cleaning up and painting my 10ee I come to mounting the taper attachment.
However I notice that the taper attachment is drilled and reamed for taper pins
but the saddle is not.

The taper attachment with the pin;
View attachment 338262

One side of the saddle mounting position;
View attachment 338263

The other side;
View attachment 338264

Everything;
View attachment 338265

Are these mismatched parts? Did Monarch sell taper attachments as accessories
that could be added later? Hence no dowel pin holes?

Correct alignment is your job. Every lathe is different. Let there be no doubt the task is tricky. These things are NOT plug and play.

Back