What's new
What's new

My 10EE and some shop pictures

tailstock4

Cast Iron
I wasn’t sure if this needed a new thread or if I posted it in the right place, but since the question was asked on the Monarch forum, this is where I put it.

All these machines had different amount of work done to them. The Pacemaker was the only one that was completely restored, and the list is long of what was done to it. But all of them have their own stories.

There are quite a few pictures. I found it harder to get it all captured than I expected. Sorry if there are too many.

p.s. The Summit is not in its normal place as I’m getting it ready to sell it. I’m running out of room.

Attachments

• IMG_0060.jpg
    IMG_0060.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 363
  • IMG_0059.jpg
    IMG_0059.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 503
  • IMG_0058.jpg
    IMG_0058.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 390
  • IMG_0057.jpg
    IMG_0057.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 382
  • IMG_0056.jpg
    IMG_0056.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 408
More pictures...

Attachments

• IMG_0061.jpg
    IMG_0061.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 278
  • IMG_0062.jpg
    IMG_0062.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 293
  • IMG_0063.jpg
    IMG_0063.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 278
  • IMG_0064.jpg
    IMG_0064.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 278
  • IMG_0065.jpg
    IMG_0065.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 314
And more pictures...

Attachments

• IMG_0070.jpg
    IMG_0070.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 247
  • IMG_0069.jpg
    IMG_0069.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG_0068.jpg
    IMG_0068.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_0067.jpg
    IMG_0067.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 247
  • IMG_0066.jpg
    IMG_0066.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 263
Man thats nice. Ive been tempted to sell my house & move to the boonies with a shop like that. Something about kids & school delays that, well and the wife too. She doesn’t like bugs & has to be close proximity to Walmart.

Tailstock

What a dream shop. What is in the wood box?
Do you do a complete and total rebuild of the machines you restore, bed regaind etc. ?

Hal

Tailstock

What a dream shop. What is in the wood box?
Do you do a complete and total rebuild of the machines you restore, bed regaind etc. ?

Hal

The wood box by the jig bore is Moore rotary table. As far was what is done to machine, the lathes I try to get to a certain standard where all the lathes will turn a 7" test bar within about .0002 over 6 or 7 inches. A couple of them will do better than that. I mostly do what it takes to get there.

As an example, the Pacemaker was re-planed, cross-slide and saddle tops were planed, new bearings in most of it, the taper re-ground and new bearings for it, new electrical, new clutch and new brake, the tailstock taper re-ground, made a new screw and nut for it, new apron control rod, headstock was re-scraped to the bed, and all new bearings in the feed box. I pretty much completely disassembled, cleaned, repaired a few things and painted. I’m sure there was more, but this was what I remember off the top of my head.

WOW!

"Choose ye not this day, that thou should practice such vanity; for the wordliness of thine abode revealeth artisan magic and curious powers. Rather, give that which thou hath, such that those possesions may be purified."

-Excerpts from my personal bible.

That is a heck of a nice shop! What kinda stuff do you do?

First off this is a private shop, not a business. And I’m no professional machine tool rebuilder. As far as what I (or sometimes, we) build, that would obviously be restore and work on machines, make machine parts, work on a few friends’ machines and building an occasional vintage tractor part. I’ve also built things for the local high school robotics club. After I got through with my 10EE, I helped a friend with his 10EE. We reground and used moglice on the saddle. That was the first time I had done that.

On the welding side of the shop, I do a lot of fabrication and repair, the occasional trailer hitch, etc. I have a friend/neighbor who comes over often. Another friend is a second-generation tool and die maker. He’s in his 80’s. I’m content spending any afternoon listening to his stories of when he was an apprentice in his dad’s shop in the 50’s.

First off this is a private shop, not a business. And I’m no professional machine tool rebuilder. As far as what I (or sometimes, we) build, that would obviously be restore and work on machines, make machine parts, work on a few friends’ machines and building an occasional vintage tractor part. I’ve also built things for the local high school robotics club. After I got through with my 10EE, I helped a friend with his 10EE. We reground and used moglice on the saddle. That was the first time I had done that.

On the welding side of the shop, I do a lot of fabrication and repair, the occasional trailer hitch, etc. I have a friend/neighbor who comes over often. Another friend is a second-generation tool and die maker. He’s in his 80’s. I’m content spending any afternoon listening to his stories of when he was an apprentice in his dad’s shop in the 50’s.
I find myself listening to the old timers as well. There is a lot to be learned just by listening. Plus I usually enjoy their company.

I find myself listening to the old timers as well. There is a lot to be learned just by listening. Plus I usually enjoy their company.

I tend to use Nelson as a resource for something I haven’t tried before. An example was when I was rebuilding my Cincinnati Super Service drill, I wanted to re-machine the table top in shop. Those tables must weigh close to 500 lbs. I came up with a way to use a boring head and a 1” carbide boring bar in the Super Max horizontal mill as a fly cutter. At a slow feed and a relatively slow speed it ended up doing a good job. Sometimes on these old machines, when the parts are one-of-a-kind and you aren’t completely sure how something will turn out, it sure helps to get an opinion from him.

The wood box by the jig bore is Moore rotary table. As far was what is done to machine, the lathes I try to get to a certain standard where all the lathes will turn a 7" test bar within about .0002 over 6 or 7 inches. A couple of them will do better than that. I mostly do what it takes to get there.

As an example, the Pacemaker was re-planed, cross-slide and saddle tops were planed, new bearings in most of it, the taper re-ground and new bearings for it, new electrical, new clutch and new brake, the tailstock taper re-ground, made a new screw and nut for it, new apron control rod, headstock was re-scraped to the bed, and all new bearings in the feed box. I pretty much completely disassembled, cleaned, repaired a few things and painted. I’m sure there was more, but this was what I remember off the top of my head.

Could you comment on how difficult it was to scrape the headstock to the bed? I had the bed of my Monarch 16CY reground and need to do the same at some point. My thought was to disassemble the headstock for cleaning and inspection and reinstall just the spindle to make handling the HS easier.

Was not intending to pry, just a general idea of the kinds of things you do. Your shop is a great space regardless if it is a hobby shop or hide out!!!

I noticed your gantry was on tracks, that is a nice touch. The scenery out the doors is pretty nice as well.

Steve

Was not intending to pry, just a general idea of the kinds of things you do. Your shop is a great space regardless if it is a hobby shop or hide out!!!

I noticed your gantry was on tracks, that is a nice touch. The scenery out the doors is pretty nice as well.

Steve

No problem. Didn't take it as prying.

Could you comment on how difficult it was to scrape the headstock to the bed? I had the bed of my Monarch 16CY reground and need to do the same at some point. My thought was to disassemble the headstock for cleaning and inspection and reinstall just the spindle to make handling the HS easier.

Originally, I was hoping not to have to re-scrape the Pacemakers’ headstock – wishful thinking, I guess. I even thought about shimming it. That might have been alright, but it wouldn’t have been the way American did it. I ended up having an older gentleman scrape it for me because trying to scrape a headstock the size and weight of the Pacemaker’s to double v-ways and have it come out to a tenth or two was more than I wanted to tackle.

The Pacemaker is a war machine – 1941. It had three flaws in it that were original. 1) The headstock was pointed down .002 or so. 2) The end bracket for the lead screw, feed rod and control rod were high by .025. 3) The reservoir oiling in the tailstock was slightly mis-drilled.

Originally, I was hoping not to have to re-scrape the Pacemakers’ headstock – wishful thinking, I guess. I even thought about shimming it. That might have been alright, but it wouldn’t have been the way American did it. I ended up having an older gentleman scrape it for me because trying to scrape a headstock the size and weight of the Pacemaker’s to double v-ways and have it come out to a tenth or two was more than I wanted to tackle.

The Pacemaker is a war machine – 1941. It had three flaws in it that were original. 1) The headstock was pointed down .002 or so. 2) The end bracket for the lead screw, feed rod and control rod were high by .025. 3) The reservoir oiling in the tailstock was slightly mis-drilled.

Thanks. My machine is also 1941 vintage. I too hope that it will magically align but you know what they say, "hope is not a strategy". The Monarchs i believe will be a bit less complex as they have only one inverted V-way and a flat way. My machine had/has multiple issues, all of which can be corrected with enough time and money, Hopefully, it wont take too much of either. I echo what others have said about your beautiful shop. Looks like a great place to lose yourself.

I've heard of Moglice being used to realign a headstock, I think Daryl did something like that with his 10EE. something about using little buttons in the corner and scraping them for alignment then Moglicing the rest when it was aligned. The headstock on my 10EE came in where I wanted it in a couple of minor scraping cycles. The tailstock was a lot more work - I scraped it into the newly ground bed to serve as a mount for indicators to prove the headstock alignment, then be flat and true for the tailstock casting.

Back