What's new
What's new

My 10EE VFD conversion and a question

tailstock4

Cast Iron
This is a 1968 10EE that was originally a modular machine. However, because of a bad motor, missing control module and other issues I decided to convert it to a VFD. The machine came out of a lab which was its only previous owner, so the mechanical condition was excellent. As an example, there was .0145” gap between tailstock flat and the underside of the flat on the saddle. So the ways were in good shape. Other than the drive, the only real surprise was it needed spindle bearings - something that I was originally unaware of. But because of the overall mechanical condition, I decided to completely disassemble, fix all the issues, clean, paint and reassemble. It took about 8 months.

I know there have been several conversions, but I did a couple of things different that might be of interest to some so I decided to post this.

The VFD I decided to use is a Nidec M701 and a Black Max 7.5 horse with gear reduction box and closed loop encoder feedback. It has a 20 olm, 1,500 watt brake. I retrained all of the original controls and functions. I purchased this all through DP Brown in Saginaw, MI. One of their head techs was of much help in programming in that he knew the drives well but also knew manual lathes. We were able to connect a laptop so that he could see the drive performance as it ran. His assistance in the tuning made a big difference in the performance of the drive.

The first thing I did differently was to change the air-cooling process. I closed off all openings to the underside and back side of the machine except two. The back bottom, lower right cover is for air intake and filtering. Air comes in through two Noctua fans, down through ducting, over the drive and a heat sink that I made for the drive. Air then goes back through a top opening of the motor bay and then travels over the motor through two more fans in a bulkhead I added. From there air blows over four resistors and out the last hole on the bottom of the base as exhaust. I did all this to ensure cooling. I also decided since I was closing it up that I would do some sound insulation. The result is a very quiet lathe.

The second thing I did was to address the alignment of the gearbox to the motor. I was unhappy with trying to simply relocate the original dowels as the shifting wasn’t as smooth as I though it should be. So I took apart the whole assembly (motor, adapter plate and gearbox) and assembled them vertically on a large angle plate. Then I took the whole assembly and put it on the radial drill. I fiddled around with it until the shifting was smooth. I then clamped the gear box and removed the pully side cover and drilled and reamed new dowel holes.

The results I think are pretty good. It is very quiet, smooth and powerful. It will drill a 1” hole in 1018 steel with a 3/16 pilot hole at 200 RPM in direct drive. There is no cogging even down to 1 or 2 RPB in direct drive. Braking performance with a forged steel set-true 6-jaw chuck is about 1 sec for 2,500 to 0, .5 sec for 1,500 to 0, and below 1,500 almost instant. When threading with the ELSR set at 400 RPM 13 TPI in direct drive, the carriage will stop exactly in the same place with no relief.

This leads to my question. I have thought about changing pulleys to make the drive 1-to-1. Pulley diameters now are 5 5/8 top, 6 7/16 bottom. I have the stock, and it could be done on my Pacemaker. Is this a worthwhile project? Any downside? I know it would lessen the back-gear range RPM-wise. What else?

I also included pictures of the 10EE sitting next to my Rivett 1020S. Interestingly, both machines had the spindle bearing changed. There are some differences and in my opinion the Rivett was the more difficult to change bearings in for couple of reasons.

Anyway, thanks to all those who helped in this project even if you didn’t know you were helping. I usually find a way to get things done when it comes to these machines, but it's always nice to find a road map if you can. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0346.jpg
    IMG_0346.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 344
  • IMG_0347.jpg
    IMG_0347.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 306
  • IMG_0348.jpg
    IMG_0348.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 292
  • IMG_0349.jpg
    IMG_0349.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 272
  • IMG_0354.jpg
    IMG_0354.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 300
Here are some more pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_0356.JPG
    IMG_0356.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 219
  • IMG_0336.jpg
    IMG_0336.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 232
  • IMG_0330.jpg
    IMG_0330.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_0337_right side up.jpg
    IMG_0337_right side up.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_0355.JPG
    IMG_0355.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 226
And a few more pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_0334.jpg
    IMG_0334.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_0342.jpg
    IMG_0342.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_0339.jpg
    IMG_0339.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_0345.jpg
    IMG_0345.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_0344.jpg
    IMG_0344.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 208
Very nice looking lathe.
Sounds like you did a nice conversion and that you lathe runs at peak preforemance.

Hal

I just acquired a 10EE which has a factory conversion to a VFD. But it is 480V and I have 240v available so I need to change out the drive. It is an ABB (Baldor) vector motor with a 1024 encoder on it. I narrowed it down to replacing the ABB drive with a new one (most expensive alternative) or replacing with with a Fuji Frenic MEGA VFD. Then I saw your post where you picked the NIDEC VFD, and wondering if you had done any other competitive analysis on any of the other units? One of my criteria is I want a VFD that can run 3 phase or single phase. Both the ABB and Fuji can do that. Thanks

I did look at other units - ABB and Yaskawa. I chose the Nidec for its reliability and technical support. I believe it was important to get all the components to work together. Finding someone who knew the drives but also my application (manual lathes) was a plus.

My shop has 3-phase. I’m running a 10 hp drive and 7.5 hp motor. To get that combination to run on single-phase, 240 volts would be fairly expensive in a high-end drive (meaning encoder capable.) I believe to have gone to single phase on mine would have required a 20 hp drive. With an M701 that would have been even more expensive. Because I have 3-phase in my shop, I never fully checked that out.

It’s not clear why you want to change the pulley ratios. More torque? Don’t use higher RPM?

Originally I thought it would be a way to get more torque in the low range in direct drive. But after using the machine, this didn't seem to be an issue. Because I already have the stock, it wouldn't be that hard to make a new pulley. So I was curious if anyone had tried this and if so what they thought. I may still make one just to experiment.

Those pulley sizes sound like the stock 4K rpm Pulleys. I have a 5hp Blackmax, and changed the top pulley to about 7". I like to thread in direct drive as it stops quicker than the BG. The larger pulley gave me enough more torque that I can. I found a old spindle pulley, and modified the spindle bore area to get correct alignment. My 1960 has the small pu;;ey for the feed gears on the spindle.

Tom

Those pulley sizes sound like the stock 4K rpm Pulleys. I have a 5hp Blackmax, and changed the top pulley to about 7". I like to thread in direct drive as it stops quicker than the BG. The larger pulley gave me enough more torque that I can. I found a old spindle pulley, and modified the spindle bore area to get correct alignment. My 1960 has the small pu;;ey for the feed gears on the spindle.

Tom

I assume your motor pulley is about the same size as mine. Was wondering how difficult was it to find a 7" pulley for the spindle. Also, do you have any idea what size of pulleys Monarch uses on their VFD conversions? Thanks for the reply.

I did finally make a new pulley which made the drive one-to-one. I encountered two unexpected problems when running top speed.

1) The increase drive speed gave me more belt vibration. I was able to correct that by getting two matched Browning belts.
2) The second thing is I encountered a vibration in the reduction box which I traced to the long key on the motor shaft. I was able to rebalance by drilling holes in the center portion of that key. This smoothed things back out.

Power-wise, I repeated my original test of drilling a 1" hole with a 3/16" pilot hole in cold rolled steel. There was a noticeable torque increase in the 180 RPM. This test was an open belt.

The original pulley setup was comparable in power to my friend's 1953 motor generator machine. The current 1-to-1 setup is a little more powerful than the motor generator. How it compares to the original modular I don't know as it never ran. Any way I'm happy with the current setup and can't imagine that the machine needs more power.

I've included a picture of the new pulley. It is 6 9/16" diameter.

IMG_0363.jpg

I noticed your spindle lock switch. My '42 round-dial never had such a thing, but I've considered adding one, and have been putting off giving my spindle-lock some TLC, as it tends not to work so great when I need it, and it tends to stay unlocked when I don't! ;-) I think the detent needs a detention.

Any chance you've got photos of what it looks like inside?

I don't have any pictures of the parts broken down, but I did take a couple pictures of the switch and the outer assembly. The switch interrupts the signal for forward or reverse run to the VFD unlike the E-stop which trips the magnetic starter. It should be fairly easy to fabricate if you have what I think is called the dent ring on the spindle or you could fabricate one. I was considering doing the same thing to add one to the Rivet 1020S.

IMG_0367 (1).jpgIMG_0368 (1).jpg

Thanks, TS-

I've never looked very closely at it, it's always been a 'round-tuit'... it looks like it comes off as a casting with the detent, etc all in one unit. My guess is that they changed the casting to accomodate the switch, I'll hafta see if there's a slick way I can either mod mine, or add to it to provide for a switch. Easy enough to put a contact in the run/stop loop.

Tailstock,

Can you provide any information / pictures of how you adapted the Blackmax 7.5 to the gearbox? My box has a splined shaft, so I'm thinking of boring out the splines and using a key.

thanks,

Jdub

Back