What's new
What's new

My First serious lathe, Monarch CY 16"x30"

WillWilly

Aluminum
So I have gone and done it, purchased my first lathe, Monarch CY 16". It is short at 30" between centers but thats fine since room in my shop is limited.

First order of buisness is a service manual and any information i can get my hands on. I have contacted Monarch for thier gold plated manual since they want $75.

Any help or advise you can offer would be greatly appriciated.

Im at the start of this adventure and trying to read as many posts as possible.

Also, if someone can tell me how to add pictures...

Last edited:
My advice is don't waste your money on a manual. Scans are available from people here that are better quality. Vintagemachinery.org has lots of manuals and brochures. I have a 16x54 CW that I'm restoring.

You will want to take that machine all apart . You know, clean it up and see how it works.

Way more constructive than reading a manual.

Thats the plan. This lathe was in service the day I picked it up. On of the operaters help load it and was glad to see it go to someone that appreciated what it is.
Mainly, i am cleaning and need to know how to do a complete maintenace, oil change, sweeps, check the ways and get sufficient power.
This is going to be a learning experience for me and want to end up with a sturdy, accurate lathe.

Can email CW manual scan - not exact since CW does not have lead screw reverse on apron as CY, but you can't beat the price - not even seventy-five cents:D

Private Message me your email address if interested

Oh - and by the way - my CW has been here being a good lathe for over twenty years without disassembly

Back