What's new
What's new

My Very Own Monarch 10EE Restoration

mechanicalman

Plastic
I'm not a machinist by trade, but I do work as a mechanical technician and I regularly have to make use of machine tools during the course of my day. I juuuust missed out on a beautiful longbed 10ee in a government surplus auction. I ended up with a square dial, with a motor-generator and tube drive. I NEVER thought I'd end up with a Monarch 10ee in my personal shop and I'm very excited to make the most of the machine.

It was originally wired for 220v and is presently connected to a 208v three phase mains. The contactor tries to close after the warm-up timer is done, but doesn't stay latched. The heater circuit on the contactor seems fine (I bypassed it just to be sure). It looks like one of the thytrons is bad based on a few things.

1. It's the only tube not warming up
2. The heater filament ohmed out at 5k ohms
3. The same tube didn't heat up when I switched positions

So my question is: can I assume the tube went bad on its own, or do I need to investigate other components that may have caused the tube to fail?

flir_20181231T172245.jpgflir_20181227T203918.jpgIMG_20181120_194519.jpgIMG_20181231_145528.jpg

You've already figured out the problem. If when you switched tubes, the "the good one" lit up up correctly in the bad ones spot? Looks like you just need a new, or good used tube. I don't have the post at hand but a guy on this forum designed solid state replacement for those big tubes and they seem to work quite well. That is what I would look into. All those other tubes are cheap and easily obtainable. Your unit is called a WIAD ( works in a drawer). I don't think you have a motor generator, unless you bought another lathe. :)

No electrical wisdom from me, just congratulations on the lathe.

MIT has 2 lathes in their physics department. Guess which ones!

I think you might have 2 different problems - the C16J that's not heating and a second problem with the EL1C rectifier. If the contactor still doesn't stay in after replacing the C16J check the voltage off the EL1C across E1 and E1-2 at the bottom of the DC panel - I'm suggesting this because the heat on the EL1C doesn't see all that high.

What are you using for the thermal imaging? Looks good.

You've already figured out the problem. If when you switched tubes, the "the good one" lit up up correctly in the bad ones spot? Looks like you just need a new, or good used tube. I don't have the post at hand but a guy on this forum designed solid state replacement for those big tubes and they seem to work quite well. That is what I would look into. All those other tubes are cheap and easily obtainable. Your unit is called a WIAD ( works in a drawer). I don't think you have a motor generator, unless you bought another lathe. :)

I'm guessing it's this guy with the solid state replacement.

To the second point, if I don't have a motor-generator, what do I have? Just a motor?

I think you might have 2 different problems - the C16J that's not heating and a second problem with the EL1C rectifier. If the contactor still doesn't stay in after replacing the C16J check the voltage off the EL1C across E1 and E1-2 at the bottom of the DC panel - I'm suggesting this because the heat on the EL1C doesn't see all that high.

What are you using for the thermal imaging? Looks good.

The guy I got it from replaced the EL1C already, so I assumed it was good. Now that you mention the heat signature in the picture, I worry you might be right. I'll check the voltage next time I'm there. For thermal imaging I have a CAT S61. It's a pretty great phone, except the regular camera is garbage compared to the Google Pixel (first gen) that I traded in for. If they had just spent a little more for a better camera, or even better post processing, I'd be singing its praises to the heavens. Now if I see something I want a good picture of, I ask someone next to me to take the pic and send it to me. I recommed getting whatever phone you want and getting a FLIR One Plus. Having thermal imaging connected to your phone has a lot of advantages in terms of being able to save and share those images. Dedicated imagers are quicker and handier, but you can't do anything with that image unless you spend the money to get a unit with built in storage.

So my next question is, can I get two of Scissio Controls' thyratron replacements and just replace the known bad tube with the Scissio unit? I know that I should be using either tubes or SCRs together, but I would like to know if I can test the (seemingly good) remaining tube, absent the proper testing apparatus.

Your problem right now is that your missing the field voltage on the motor. Does your fan come on at all?

AFAIK he HAS tested and proven one of his units with the legacy Thyratron on the other hole to be able to work.

Even so, I'd rate it a bad move. Better to have both sides identical, either way.

As to "testing apparatus"? Think it through. You have the 10EE.

Can't ask for a BETTER test rig because it is the EXACT duplicate of what the components will see in real-world use!

:D

I feel like you're telling me two things. It sounds like you're telling me the 10ee is the perfect testing apparatus, but also that it would be a bad idea to only swap in one SCR in place of the bad C16J, even if only to test the 'good' C16J tube.

Your problem right now is that your missing the field voltage on the motor. Does your fan come on at all?

If you're referring to the little cooling fan near the tailstock that is vented to the back of the lathe, then yes. It comes on as soon as power is applied.

That tells me that your fuses are good for the field voltage tubes. You need to check for field voltage on the main motor if present then check the contact on the field loss relay and clean them. The field voltage will only be present while pressing the on button.

I'm guessing it's this guy with the solid state replacement.

To the second point, if I don't have a motor-generator, what do I have? Just a motor?

Yes. That's the guy. His name is Timothy Jones. Here's the thread he started when he was developing the module:
And here's a link to his data sheet for the module, which includes a schematic of the circuit:
I'm sure he would be happy to answer any questions that you have. Contact information link is on the main page:

The drive that you have is know as a "Works in a Drawer" or WiaD drive. Motor Generator (MG) drives used an AC motor coupled to a DC generator and exciter to produce the DC voltages for the the spindle motor, etc. You have a DC spindle motor, but no motor/generator; the WiaD drive takes the place of the MG.

Cal

I already spoke with Timothy today and placed two SCR's on order. He also stated that it would be fine to replace a single thyratron with an SCR to confirm the function of the other thyratron! So, it looks like I'll be able to sell the working tube (if it indeed does work) and cover my some of my costs.

I already spoke with Timothy today and placed two SCR's on order. He also stated that it would be fine to replace a single thyratron with an SCR to confirm the function of the other thyratron! So, it looks like I'll be able to sell the working tube (if it indeed does work) and cover my some of my costs.

Congratulations on the lathe, they are wonderful to operate.

I tested Timothy’s C16J Solid State replacement units in my WIAD, they work perfectly. I’ve run several different projects with power demands across the board and I cannot tell a difference between the C16J tubes and the Solid State reps.

They are designed to mimic the characteristics of the analog tube, so running one with an analog tube would work fine. If fact you might consider keeping the working tube as a backup, YMMV but I find it comforting to have spare parts.

Ryan

Interesting! Their website shows only the two 10ee lathes.

EDIT: This shows only in the physics shop. They have what they call Central Machine Shop which probably has lots of machinery.

So, I went ahead and replaced both thyratron tubes with the SCR's from Tim and no dice. The main contactor still wouldn't close. I proceeded to check out the 10 ohm resistors (they were fine) and double checked the 3A fuses (also fine). I then started looking at the field failure relay. At no point has that relay closed while I've been fussing with everything else. So against better judgement, I used a piece of wood to hold the contact closed on the field failure relay while I pressed the start button. The main contactor closed AND latched this time. As soon as I released the field failure relay and allowed it to open, the main contactor opened. If I keep holding the field failure relay while the main contactor is latched, I'm able to toggle the direction switch, which causes the contactors at the head stock end of the lathe to operate, BUT the spindle does not spin up no matter what speed control rheostat is set at. It was getting late, so I didn't have a chance to check the field failure relay further, but what should I investigate next time I'm at the shop (FFR coil voltage, motor brushes, etc)? I already ordered the manual for my lathe from Monarch, but it's not getting here until early next week.

Also, assume I'm stupid and may indeed have bad fuses and/or bad resistors.

Have you checked the field voltage? That's the primary reason for the field failure relay to drop out. I'd suspect the 3C23s since they're the most common failure point for the field.

There are two smaller thyratron tubes that control the field voltage for the field you need to trouble shoot that circuit to get your field for the motor without that the field loss relay will never hold.

Have you checked the field voltage? That's the primary reason for the field failure relay to drop out. I'd suspect the 3C23s since they're the most common failure point for the field.

There are two smaller thyratron tubes that control the field voltage for the field you need to trouble shoot that circuit to get your field for the motor without that the field loss relay will never hold.

Dammit, more tubes. Any tips for diagnosing that circuit? What kinds of voltage values should I see across the coil terminals of the FFR?

Dammit, more tubes. Any tips for diagnosing that circuit? What kinds of voltage values should I see across the coil terminals of the FFR?
Yep more tubes the FFR relay is a current relay and the voltage is small less than 5 volts have not measured it but it operates on current. You need to see at least 40 VDC on the field of the motor when you press the on button the nominal voltage is 120 VDC.

Measure between F1 and F2 on the bottom of the DC panel (should be on the left). You should see 120V DC give or take for the first half of the speed control travel, and decrease after that (minimum is dependent on setup and max speed but I think should be better than 24V DC). Again, this is a PWM output that can fool some measuring devices but if the field is connected at the motor you should see something close to RMS.

Send me a PM with an email address that can accept a large file and I'll send you a schematic with voltages on it.

Be careful in there, use the "one hand" rule (never put both hands into the electrical bits). There's voltages in there with the current to kill you and it'll hurt the whole time you're dying.

So I got everything to work! it seemed that the big hang-up was the Field Failure relay not closing. With the main contactor. I nudged the contacts closed with a piece of wood while depressing the Start button and everything lit up like Rockafeller Plaza at Christmas! Now the field failure relay closes the way it's supposed to. It's worth noting there's a bit in the 10ee manual for the modular drive that mentions adjusting the sping tension on the field failure relay if it's not closing. I imagine I just overcame some mechanical stickiness that was keeping it from closing properly.

I've been trying to understand the pricipal of operation for the speed control. Prior to acquiring this machine, my understanding of DC motor speed control went no further than "volts = speed".

Here we go. Upon applying power to the main disconnect all transformers are energized at their primaries and filament current is supplied to the various tubes and the blower motor at the end of the tailstock. The 6NO60 tube (a time delay relay in glass) begins it's countdown and after 60 seconds closes a portion of the circuit that allows the "Start" button to function and close the main contactor behind the headstock. Upon pressing the Start button, the field winding is supplied current and causes the Field Failure Relay to close completing the circuit that latches the main contactor (as long as the overload coils are not tripped and the drum switch is set to neutral). If the Field Failure relay fails to close, it is likely due to the 3C23 thyratrons not providing rectified current to the shunt wired field winding, or the 6SF5 triode tube which acts as a linear amplifier for the field control circuit since the 3c23 thyratrons cannot do any amplifying on their own. This all assumes the field failure relay itself isn't broken. Current is now following through the field winding and the components in the field control circuit (the 3C23 thyratrons and the 6SF5 triode).

Now when the drum switch is kicked in either direction from neutral(with the main rheostat set at 1150 RPM), fully rectified current flows from the big C16J tubes into the armature (rotor). The current rises in the armature past 25A and causes the Field Accelerating Relay coil to trigger and short out the max speed and field control pots. Maximum current flows through the armature and the series winding of the stator, accelerating rotor from rest. When the motor reaches 1150 RPM, the current drops, the field accelerating relay opens and the field control pot regains control of the field current while the 'max speed' pot regain control of the armature voltage. As load is applied to the spindle, the current load goes up and the voltage in the secondaries of the current transformers goes up proportionally. This voltage is rectified by the 6X5 tube and used to raise the voltage across the armature to make up for the speed drop in the loaded spindle. I'm not sure if that raised voltage is directly supplied to the armature, or if it controls another circuit that that does this.

If the potentiometer is turned up from 1150 RPMs, the max voltage that can be applied to the armature(rotor) of the motor has been reached by the armature control pot and the other half of the main rheostat begins to lower the current supplied to the field (stator). Weakening the magnetic field of the stator begins to shrink the torque envelope of the motor for any given RPM above 1150. If the field collapses somehow, or the field circuit opens, the motor becomes nearly torqueless and if there's little-to-no load on the spindle/motor, it will runaway. The Field Failure relay steps in and unlatches the main contactor. If the field isn't present and the motor tries to start, there won't be a magnetic field for the current to push against and you're basically heating up a filament in atmosphere (the motor burns up). The Field Failure relay prevents all of this.

I'm sure I've made some assumptions that are wrong about how the WIAD works or even fundamentals about electricity, but if someone came in and corrected those assumptions, I'd be super grateful.

Some other things I'm curious about: The schematic for the modular drive identifies a section as the "Phase Shift Circuit." What exactly does that do, and is there a part of the WIAD that serves the same purpose?

IMG_20190120_184045.jpg

Back