What's new
What's new

Mystery bearing bushing Monarch CK12

Franky6767

Plastic
Having from back gear noise.....repaced some 6206 roller bearing on the "idle gears" and it reduced it....but just haven't gotten it to totally quiet down.
So I looked to were I think I might hear some rumbling....and find timken 1931's tapered bearing behind the plates circled below...image is not my lathe but very similar. After further investigation these certainly don't appear to be original. Could someone tell me what is suppose to be behind these plates exactly? Bushing? Bearing? THe oil cup obviously feeds it ( has a slit in the top of the round outer housing at 12 o clock.

lathe part for forum circled.jpg

Any and all help is appreciated. Whats in there now is obviously a rig job...I think....

Having from back gear noise.....repaced some 6206 roller bearing on the "idle gears" and it reduced it....but just haven't gotten it to totally quiet down.
So I looked to were I think I might hear some rumbling....and find timken 1931's tapered bearing behind the plates circled below...image is not my lathe but very similar. After further investigation these certainly don't appear to be original. Could someone tell me what is suppose to be behind these plates exactly? Bushing? Bearing? THe oil cup obviously feeds it ( has a slit in the top of the round outer housing at 12 o clock.

View attachment 235908

Any and all help is appreciated. Whats in there now is obviously a rig job...I think....

Presuming you bought a manual from Monarch, even if it had no illustration, there would be a part number and description, yah?

In any case, unless a Timken tapered roller bearing has failed, they are not notably noisy to normal hearing.

Is there an issue with end-play? Perhaps whatever or wherever the bearing is balanced against - other end of the shaft with an opposing bearing or by a local retainer / adjusting nut?

Gears - straight-cut spur most of all - are less acoustically mannerly than bearings, far more likely to remain a source of noise no matter what, "burial at sea" one possible exception, and even then...

:D

I haven't bought a manual yet...I keep hearing the manuals in this year range are very basic to say the least I m pretty sure this is not a original bearing like I said....there is no shoulder for the outer race to seat to.

Its a straight bore under plate. There was/is a metal "cup" inside the bore( looks like a chevy freeze plug kind of)...then the outer race goes in...then the bearing...then a washer spacer. then the plate. The cup someone hand ground a v in the lip and someone did the same with the lip on the outer plate * trying to line up oil slit it seems.....

That doesn't seem original and seems to me all this cannot be right. no way the end play can be adjusted like this...the cup will slide right though the outer bore of bearing housing and would just fall through lol...this bore it without any features besides the slit for oil on the top. :confused:

I haven't bought a manual yet...I keep hearing the manuals in this year range are very basic to say the least I m pretty sure this is not a original bearing like I said....there is no shoulder for the outer race to seat to.

Its a straight bore under plate. There was/is a metal "cup" inside the bore( looks like a chevy freeze plug kind of)...then the outer race goes in...then the bearing...then a washer spacer. then the plate. The cup someone hand ground a v in the lip and someone did the same with the lip on the outer plate * trying to line up oil slit it seems.....

That doesn't seem original and seems to me all this cannot be right. no way the end play can be adjusted like this...the cup will slide right though the outer bore of bearing housing and would just fall through lol...this bore it without any features besides the slit for oil on the top. :confused:

I don't "pay myself" at my old hourly rates, but still.. a $75 10EE manual has saved me many times its cost.

Try it. Then you will KNOW how the "original" was configured.

Beats all Hell out of trying to figure out what folks who left the room before most here were even born might have thought was "right" back in the day, let alone what sort of monkey-patching may have been done, later, the "monkeys" who perpetrated it also having left the building with Elvis, if not before.

A CK manual doesn't have much info in it. I don't think it is worth the money.
The (1974) and later 10EE's manual have a ton of info in them

Hal

Both the 'C' and 'CY' had a Timken tapered roller bearing in that position, no reason to think a CK wouldn't.

CK12 manual just sent to you shows Timkens, and may tell you what number they are in the parts list

Pg 17 is thumbnail

Attachments

• 12CK Manual006_17.jpg
    12CK Manual006_17.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 74
CK12 manual just sent to you shows Timkens, and may tell you what number they are in the parts list

Pg 17 is thumbnail

Many thanks!! That is very nice of you. Gonna have a look. IF I rememer right by the looks of the picture ...someone had the bearing in backwards..lol..hmmm.

Behind those cover plates are Timken bearings. End play is adjusted by the shim thickness between the cap and the casting. Manual clearly shows it.

Tom

Gonna look over the manual sent to me. The way I remember it..something got to be missing as well. Gonna look at this further tomorrow hopefully. Thanks again for all the help....I sure needed a push the right direction.

Back running nice....bearings were in backwards lol. Amazing it was running as quiet as it was I guess. I really appreciate all the help and time taken to help me.

Back