What's new
What's new

Navy 10ee

Homer

Plastic
Hello,

I picked up a 10ee with a Navy yard tag : yard #18-LE-284 / Purchase date 1941 / price $3912.14 (this is not what I paid, it is cost Navy paid in 1941)

looks like it was ordered/purchased 1941 and built 1-1942 according to Monarch tag.

I see many 10EE experts here, any info on above would be appreciated.

Also, what sort of drive does this have? Not sure of electronic condition, but everything appears original, except a poor paint job. Are there any enthusiasts in ohio willing to look the electronics over, see if it will run? It is wired 480, I have 230 three phase.

thanks,

Homer

Remove the cover under the tailstock end of the base, take a picture in there. Remove the base cover on the other end (have to remove the cover on the top first) take picture in there. Post both along with some general pictures and you'll get some help. Right now we can't know more than what you've said along with the observation that it *shipped* with a MG drive.

I will get pictures and s/n when I get home.... from memory it was 115xx?
I'm in central Ohio.
Thanks! Be back soon...

Tom D. what didn't happen....? picture or no, it certainly happened. Was I sarcastic in my post question?

a couple more..... thanks.

Attachments

• DSCF2596.jpg
    DSCF2596.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 145
  • DSCF2597.jpg
    DSCF2597.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 118
  • DSCF2598.jpg
    DSCF2598.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 164
a couple more..... thanks.

Brass (Bronze?) "Round Dial", "low-height" HS & TS, with early-version piggy-back exciter MG. Note the pulley ratio, MG to exciter. Later ones were 1:1.

Another 'uncommon' / outright rare feature is that it appears to have the mechanical, not electrical, 'Automatic Leadscrew Reverse' (NOT exactly an accurate naming, given what it actually DOES.....but that's been covered arredy..).

Bill

Thanks for info guys!

I hope to wade thru all the electric info and keep it original(MG) without drowning. wow, tons of options to get running.... Also, get the sloppy blue paint off and make her look more respectable.

Further suggestions and comments are appreciated!

That's interesting! An early EE with piggyback exciter. 2:1 drive? I wonder if it's 230v for F&R contactor coils and spindle motor field? JinNJ

That's interesting! An early EE with piggyback exciter. 2:1 drive? I wonder if it's 230v for F&R contactor coils and spindle motor field? JinNJ

Probably not. EE11286 has the same exciter and it's 115 VDC. AFIK, only the inline exciter machines had 230 VDC exciters.

Cal

Also, what sort of drive does this have? Not sure of electronic condition, but everything appears original, except a poor paint job. Are there any enthusiasts in ohio willing to look the electronics over, see if it will run? It is wired 480, I have 230 three phase. ...
Homer,

Sorry that I didn't get back to you sooner. It can probably be run from 230 3-phase. This thread gives you the steps to determine if the machine can be converted to 230 and explains how to do it: Let me know if you need any help getting the drive running.

Cal

Thank you Cal,

I will have some questions in the future (this Ohio winter) for sure. Thanks for link to get to 230v 3 phase. The previous owner said the generator did run when he had it on 440, but did not get any further info beyond that.....

Thanks again all,

Homer

Back