What's new
What's new

Need 460 V. to run my lathe

gjrepesh

Cast Iron
I talked to a Monarch techie today about converting my 1966 10 EE from 460 V. to 230 V. All was going well until he said the two transformers for the tubes are not dual voltage for my year. A quick look and they are rated 400-500 V. Monarch can replace these for about $1,000. I figure I have the option of buying a 230 to 460 V. transformer and not doing any converting. Have any of you gone this way? What are my sources for transformers? Price range? Any info appreciated.

Gary J. Repesh (newbie)

I can't answer your question specifically but a while back I needed a transformer to go from 230 to 575 3 phase and was surprised how easy they were to find even up here in the industrial hinterland. Try the yellow pages
under electrical equipment or call any company that does commercial wiring. I would be very surprised if you have to pay more than $100. Also lots on Ebay but shipping can be the spoiler
bob

They are listed as step-down transformers. Just turn the nameplate towards the wall and it will work backwards.
wink.gif

After going through many rolls of paper towels and much degreaser it was time to put do the electrical. A friend with electrical background came over and we dug in. Hooked up the add-on transformer for the 230v. to 460v. stepup for the filament transformers. Did some testing. Flipped the switch and the motor started turning. Relief! Now th clean up the top end of the lathe, put it back together and start making chips.

Back