What's new
What's new

Need to get rid of my spare MG parts.

macona

Diamond
I have some parts I dont need any more. Putting in the servo real soon so I dont need a second set of backups for the lathe.

Parts came out of a late '42 model. Supposedly running when it was pulled out of service. The MG set I am currently using in my lathe runs fine.

I have the DC control box and the 3HP Reliance motor.

I also have the old MG out of my mid-'42 MG. Exciter is good but needs brushes. Looks like one of the field windings in the generator is shorted though. Thats why I pulled it.

Offers? Trades?

Im a bit west of Portland. (Beaverton)

Dang!

Dang!

Well, I would give 'em a fine home... but shipping is a killer... I was just out there what... a year ago... doing a job in Brooks (south of Portland), could'a loaded 'em in then, but I probably would'a had'ta rip'em out'a your lathe to do it...

DK :-)

I would love to have a healthy DC box as a spare for my '49 MG lathe. Have you a price in mind? I'm in Massachusetts, but that box shouldn't be a shipping problem.

Dick

OK, heres a couple pics of the control box and the other stuff. These parts came out of a machine that had been setting out in Las Vegas for quite a few years. Supposedly working when pulled out of service. The MG worked right out after I flashed the exciter. So hopfully this is a good sign for the otyher parts.

The box isnt in the best of condition but looks like it is workable. The relays all move freely. Looks like one relay has been replaced before and one of the wires from the panel to the movable contacts has been replaced. Some of the insulation on the other wires are fraying and could stand to be replaced. The brake resistors look good and the wiring on the back looks in good shape. The studs that the relay wires connect to could stand to be replaced. Come with both hinges and the latch thingy. $150 + shipping

The motor appears to have had it main bearings replaced with sealed versions.

The MG unit in the pic is not the one I am trying to find a home for.

Seems potter needs a control box to get his lathe going so he gets first crack at it. I want it to go to someone to got a machine running before it sits as someones spare.

Macona

DSC03396.jpg

DSC03397.jpg

DSC03116.jpg

DSC03114.jpg

I certainly agree that the box should go to someone who's trying to get a lathe running. If Potter passes, I'd be interested, however.

Dick

Those are all very good parts to have, particularly if obtained as a complete set.

However, be aware that the DC Panel is the earliest design, and does not have replaceable contacts on the contactors.

The '45 and later DC Panels were made differently ... a sheet of phenolic on which was constructed the contactors, and other parts, using 1/4"-20 brass all-thread rod as both conductive and structural components.

The photos I posted earlier shows the later DC Panel, with replaceable contacts.

The other photo, the one with what appears to be NEMA Size 1 contactors as F and R contactors, is yet another variation.

Dick, Potter passed on it so its up for grabs.

My 10EE has one of the newer panels with the replaceable contacts. I am pretty sure it was installed later as the schematics for my machine dont match the panel. But I am keeping all those parts still until I am absolutely sure the servo is going to pan out.

Guess that just goes to show...

that 'ya can't trust anyone anymore... especially not over the internet... promise to send 'ya two emails, and 'ya get three... what kind'a deal is that? <sheesh!>

OK, got more stuff that needs a home. With the upgrade to servo I no longer need the guts out of my EE, so I have whats left of the innards of my MG set.

Motor-Generator, 200v 50hz. With exciter. Runs fine on 240v 60hz.
Set of rheostats with bracket and wiring harness/conduit.
DC Control box. One of the newer versions with renewable contacts.

Still have the other generator. I think I may have found a home for the exciter. Looks like I will end up scrapping that one.

Back