What's new
What's new

Need help with 1962 Model 62 clutch bearings

Definca

Plastic
Hi Guys, Hoping to find some help with our Monarch 1962 model 62 lathe. It has started to make a dry bearing sound coming from the drive hub which contains the clutch and brake.
We have obtained some info from Monarch like the exploded diagram. Just wondering if anybody has tackled removing the hub and servicing the internal bearings, brake, and clutch parts? It appears that the drive hub may be serviced separately from the main enclosed head stock gear box.
Any help or experience with this would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks - Douglas

Attachments

• Monarch 62.jpg
    Monarch 62.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 127
I've had mine apart down to the clutch itself. I just needed to repair the aluminum clutch housing as some gorilla tried to pry off the pulley/brake without taking it apart. Leaked a bit of oil from the break.

pull the 6 bolts. These holes are actually tapped in the cover too. build a small slide hammer with a 5/16 bolt. pop the cover plate off. keep taking things off, until you get to a bolted plate at the bearings. unbolt and slide the pulley off. You have both bearings now.

Clean the filter and orifices in the small box on top of the clutch housing.

Good luck,

Dave

Thanks Dave for the reply to my post. We were successful in getting the clutch apart and installed with the new bearings and parts. The lathe is doing fine again. It would have been nice to have more info when traveling in uncharted waters. Doug

Back