What's new
What's new

Need help with my new 10EE

grounding

Cast Iron
Just picked this up today, and super excited. Already ordered the manual from Monarch and it’s coming Tuesday, but I was hoping you guys could help me get a head start in identifying some of the things missing from my new project. FYI I have the covers, just took them off for pictures.

Any and all advice/help is welcomed.

Thanks all

e271f9f05b0f143feba917282371814b.jpg

d21db70b899fd8100036a0c6e50a9b6e.jpg

b04ff611f10d9a9ca43370772b941727.jpg

7f21bfadc433962933952a41a7ead69b.jpg

57e6f0928e9e168b87869af6630192ad.jpg

a18251b609f390116721d9ade04436bd.jpg

522dcc8e2d9d677de4ff80fb5fe8cb23.jpg

7f8a355ef2b58ddcd22679adc5d0f4f0.jpg

90219e6f43f7b0168a8d0ff506ea4d32.jpg

6c47c3fe9b2f22e463f2a1843f8120c0.jpg

623937473cf3d9c558c7f12754c9f4df.jpg

a2754ce49ffc957468a3c21bdf7b9d60.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• IMG_3817.jpg
    IMG_3817.jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 40
Thanks a ton for the reply! So the exterior exciter is a replacement, correct? Any idea what the original would have looked like?

I believe the mechanism for the spindle lock is gone too. The top cover for the head stock has signs of being cracked and repaired, so potentially it was broken off when the cover was damaged….

Just picked this up today, and super excited. Already ordered the manual from Monarch ...

e271f9f05b0f143feba917282371814b.jpg

b04ff611f10d9a9ca43370772b941727.jpg

57e6f0928e9e168b87869af6630192ad.jpg

7f8a355ef2b58ddcd22679adc5d0f4f0.jpg

6c47c3fe9b2f22e463f2a1843f8120c0.jpg

a2754ce49ffc957468a3c21bdf7b9d60.jpg

... So the exterior exciter is a replacement, correct? Any idea what the original would have looked like?
The unit sitting on the pallet to the right of the lathe, in the last photo, is an inline motor/generator (MG) and very likely the original unit. It combines a DC exciter, DC generator and AC drive motor on a common shaft. The exciter is on the left end and actually bolts to the end of the shaft. The cover on the left end is not a stock item and is hiding the area where the exciter mounts. We need to see some photos of what's underneath.

The DC control panel (the big box full of relays, next to the spindle motor) appears to be correct for that vintage lathe and MG set. It's really dirty but may work just fine. Do you know if the machine was running when it was taken out of service?

The empty compartment on the back is where a coolant pump would have mounted, if installed. Not all 10EEs came with a coolant pump; not having one is a plus in my mind, since they tend to lead to a lot of corrosion problems.

There's a gray cabinet peeking out from behind the right end of the lathe. It might be the original Monarch tooling cabinet. Did you get that?

How do you plan to provide power to the machine? Do you have 3-phase?

Cal

Cal, thanks for the reply.

Yes it was running.

The lathe is at my shop, so I’ll get pictures of underneath the cover currently on the MG Monday and post here.

Why would they have removed the MG from the lathe? Should I try and get it back in there? Those boxes behind the door on the front don’t look stock?

Thanks again for the help!

Cal, missed your last question. Not sure. The guy did give me a tool box with it, but not sure if it’s original. What do I look for?

Some people don't like the noise that the MG makes and put it in a remote enclosure. Personally, I don't mind the noise, and I have very sensitive hearing. If it were me, I would put it back in place. It may have also been done that way to make maintenance easier.

The two 4x4 boxes behind the front cover are in place of the terminal box on the front of the MG. It you look, you'll see that the conduits will line up with the knock-outs in the left side of the terminal box on the MG.

The original tooling cabinet should have a carousel (aka Lazy Susan) for collets in the top. See this thread: Monarch Tool Cabinet restoration. It's unusual for the tooling cabinet to manage to stay with the lathe over the decades. What tooling did you get with the machine?

Cal

She’s going back inside, thanks!

I have to check the tool box on Monday to confirm all tooling. I know there’s a 3 jaw on the spindle currently.

Thanks for the help Cal.

In the first photo you posted, I think I see the hood for the MG sticking out at the tailstock end of the machine. Is that true?

Send me an e-mail and I'll send you the right wiring diagram for the machine.

Cal

First picture I posted was of the nameplate. There is definitely a hood on the MG. I don’t think it’s original though.

At least I thought that was the first picture.

PM you my email address

Agree with most if not all comments. That MG will go back inside without too much trouble. You will need some hardware that is somewhat specialized and some rubber isolating pads for the MG mount points. Some of that may still exist on the base plate where the MG resides now and in the worst case scenario something can be improvised. Feel free to reach out if you need details. I have lots of photos and what not. The 4x4 boxes Cal mentioned can go away as they were added for a junction box for the extensions wires that were added to move the MG out of the belly of the lathe.

My lathe is running the same rig / inline exciter / control panel / and most certainly a 230 VDC exciter.

I would definitely make sure the MG (main generator and exciter generator) brushes and commutators are all in good shape and tuned up before you cram it back in there.

Here is what it will look like tucked back in there (sans the VFD cable powering the MG motor)

20211002_205330.jpg

20211002_205431.jpg

20211002_205436.jpg

20211002_205452.jpg

MG Isolators.jpg

Sorry for the rotated pictures....still haven't figured out the picture posting thing here.

She’s going back inside, thanks!

I have to check the tool box on Monday to confirm all tooling. I know there’s a 3 jaw on the spindle currently.

Thanks for the help Cal.

Oh man this is great info. Those pictures help me visualize how it all should come together.

Any other suggestions as to why they would have taken it out in the first place?

Any idea where I can get the hardware need to get it back in there?

The unit sitting on the pallet to the right of the lathe, in the last photo, is an inline motor/generator (MG) and very likely the original unit. It combines a DC exciter, DC generator and AC drive motor on a common shaft. The exciter is on the left end and actually bolts to the end of the shaft. The cover on the left end is not a stock item and is hiding the area where the exciter mounts. We need to see some photos of what's underneath.

The DC control panel (the big box full of relays, next to the spindle motor) appears to be correct for that vintage lathe and MG set. It's really dirty but may work just fine. Do you know if the machine was running when it was taken out of service?

The empty compartment on the back is where a coolant pump would have mounted, if installed. Not all 10EEs came with a coolant pump; not having one is a plus in my mind, since they tend to lead to a lot of corrosion problems.

There's a gray cabinet peeking out from behind the right end of the lathe. It might be the original Monarch tooling cabinet. Did you get that?

How do you plan to provide power to the machine? Do you have 3-phase?

Cal

I have a RPC already.

In the first photo you posted, I think I see the hood for the MG sticking out at the tailstock end of the machine. Is that true?

Send me an e-mail and I'll send you the right wiring diagram for the machine.

Cal

Cal, I sent you my email address. Looking forward to seeing the wiring diagram!

I think it was already mentioned....the only two reasons that make sense is to get it remote to reduce noise or for ease of servicing. I am going with the latter.

Oh man this is great info. Those pictures help me visualize how it all should come together.

Any other suggestions as to why they would have taken it out in the first place?

Thanks all. Can wait to get to the shop tomorrow to take a closer look at the MG.

Cal, I sent you my email address. Looking forward to seeing the wiring diagram! ...
The best drawing that I have is one that rakort redrew. I'm checking with him before I send it to you.

This is the photo I meant to point out:
d21db70b899fd8100036a0c6e50a9b6e.jpg

Isn't that the hood for the MG sticking out at the tailstock end of the lathe?

Cal

Back