What's new
What's new

Need help with Series 60 clutch shifting (same as CY?)

TXNinAZ

Plastic
Hi all. Opened headstock to replace final oil metering unit (was backordered- I replaced all the others a few weeks ago), and discovered a big mess. In the few hours I've run this machine, it's eaten through about half of the brass clutch fork shoes. I didn't notice it until I dropped a little wrench in the oil and went fishing- found a locking washer (!) and a set screw, along with a plenty of gold glitter. The washer was clearly supposed to be on the end of this shaft (the castle nut is staring at you), the set screw not so obvious. The oil tube was also off to the side and not feeding oil to the trough on the fork. Lack of lubrication there is obvious with the cooked steel that ate up the brass shoes.

Looking at how that assembly works, it was obviously over-traveling when the spindle lever was down, and I discovered someone had installed both clutch lever mounts (on either end of the turnbuckle) backward, allowing a ton of play in that shaft. I swapped the lever mounts around and now there's almost no play in the shaft, but the fork can still over travel a bit (perhaps just because the shoes are so damaged?).

Beyond replacing the brass shoes, what can I do to adjust this and prevent future harm? The parts manual shows how it should be assembled, but not really where things should be- is there not normally a need to adjust any of this assembly? I'll keep hunting for a home for the set screw, and order some new oil to get rid of the glitter.

IMG_9912.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-05-04 at 9.14.17 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-05-04 at 9.15.56 PM.jpg

IMG_1492.jpg

Aaron, The picture attached shows the way the turnbuckles should be. I found out the hard way that orienting these correctly is one part of assembling this machine that needs to be done a very specific way. I'm not going to waste a bunch of time spelling that all out here. If your assembly doesn't look like what's in the picture please message me and I will go into some detail on it.

Looking at videos of your machine running, it seems to me that everything was engaging correctly. I think you may be over thinking it some. The spindle lever can't really over travel. That has more to do with clutch adjustment than anything. Take your clutch cover off and have a look at that while engaging and disengaging. As long as you're making solid clutch engagement and it's not slipping you should be good. The fact that the oil feed tube was out of the trough seems like the only real issue to me. The washer being in the bottom along with the setscrew suggests to me that someone had a go at replacing or adjusting the spindle brake which is a part of this same assembly. I suspect you'll find the missing set screw's home when digging further into this. There are many in the headstock. I nut and bolt disassembled my machine and it's still fairly fresh in my mind. I remember the brake assemble was a little tricky going back together. I have many pictures of the whole thing. I'll see if I can dig a few up. DM me if you want to discuss any of it.

Jared

Thanks for your input, Jared. I now have the linkage set the way your photo is- it was indeed backward when I got the machine. The clutch engages what seems to be properly (this is my first clutch operated lathe so I don't have first hand experience). It just seems like pulling the clutch lever down, it goes down too far- when the headstock was open I watched where the yoke moved and if I pushed the lever all the way down, the shoes were rubbing. If I pushed it all the way down and the back up a bit, the shoes would be in the right spot in their groove. Is that simply because of the wear?

Back