What's new
What's new

Need machining help- Monarch 16CY

WillWilly

Aluminum
All,

I own a Monarch 16CY 1943 and the tail stock hand wheel is broken in three pieces. I have purchased a new hand wheel from McMaster to machine to fit.

I live in Lexington KY and my go to shop has closed. Not very many folks interested in small project work from a hobbyist. Anyone interested in this type of work for a reasonable cost? Anyone know of a machinist local to Lexington KY?

The picture shows my original hand wheel and the new wheel from McMaster. The hub will need to be shortened, turned down to original size, bored, steel sleeve pressed in, and key broached.

I need a lathe to fix my lathe. My lathe is not up and running

Monarch Handwheel.jpg

I'd wait until everything else on the machine is working then chuck up the new handwheel and trim down the hub (don't need the TS for that). Then when you go to drill & ream the center bore, put the old handwheel back on and us it to bore your center hole. Grab it with visegrips if you need to, it's only one hole. Drill the handle hole with a drill press. Take the $$ you save on machining it and buy a press and broach for the keyway.

If you really just don’t want to do it, I guess you can just send it to me. It’s not a very hard job, just pay for the shipping to and from 28571.

But if I do it, since there’s absolutely no need, I wouldn’t steel sleeve it. Just bore it and broach a keyway for you.

Naro

I you don't mind doing it, I'll send it your way.

I have no problem doing this, just don't have the lathe up and running. I have a lathe at work but I just hate doing government work since I'm one of the company principles.

I'm going through each component, completing and setting on the shelf for reassembly. I hate having five projects going at one time so I am forcing myself to complete one at a time before ripping into another part. this is the last part for the tailstock. I'm getting into the taper attachment and haveit almost done as well.

Thanks so much for offering,
Let me know how to proceed. And if there is something you are currently looking for, give me a list and I may have it in my inventory of parts.

William

You could JB Weld your handle together to get you through the repairing stage.

Not a JB weld kind of guy. I'm rebuilding for the fun and to make it as well or better than from the factory.

Thanks for the advise but already decided, no JB weld, bubble gum or bailing wire on this project. I save that for my lawn mower and rototiller repair... Ha!

Hey William: did you find someone to machine the hub of your new handle?

I think bil230 was suggesting a temporary JbWeld job, so you could do your own machining on the new handle?
Not that you need the tailstock for doing the work on the handle..

I used the technique suggested by 'Thermite' to 'broach' a keyway inside a bore. It worked well, was a bit tedious, but worked.

DualValve

Hey William: did you find someone to machine the hub of your new handle?

I think bil230 was suggesting a temporary JbWeld job, so you could do your own machining on the new handle?
Not that you need the tailstock for doing the work on the handle..

I used the technique suggested by 'Thermite' to 'broach' a keyway inside a bore. It worked well, was a bit tedious, but worked.

DualValve

Took it to work and did it myself. Not the best option but had a great time doing it... I will post on "My winter project"

Back