What's new
What's new

New Bison 6-Jaw for the 10ee

nobrakese28

Cast Iron
I was fortunate to get my lathe with three chucks, but as I have used them over the past few months I have realized that my 6" 3-jaw needs the jaws reground, the 4-jaw is in excellent shape, but better for larger work (8") and also slow, and my 8" three jaw is in decent shape, but quite heavy for the lathe.

I was torn between a collet system and a 6-jaw, do to the expense of each, it would only be one for the time being.

I decided on the 6" Bison 6-jaw set-tru with the Bison set-tru backing plate. The quality and finish are excellent.. But I have one complain, the pattern for the four adjustment screws to dial in the run-out of the chuck is an "x" pattern... This makes it much harder, as it doesn't act like a tru 4-jaw system. After 15 minutes I was able to get it to .001-.0015", if it was a standard 90 degree apart system I feel I could have got it to zero-ish.

I was also able to pick up a Hardinge 5C speed chuck minus the backing plate. Building a set-tru backing plate will make a fun project.

Thanks,

Marco

IMG-8100.jpg
IMG-8101.jpg
IMG-8102.jpg

nice looking bison. i just reground the jaws on a buck 3 jaw adjust tru. came out great. you just have to get a tool post grinder. watch tubalcain on youtube to see how its done.

Yes, after a period of time and use, the jaws begin dropping out of contact, until only three have contact. One of the reasons to grind the jaws is so a shaft will run true a distance from the jaws. axial error. Its bad to bend a shaft to get the tail center to engage.

I saw that, I have my eye out for a tool post grinder. The 6-jaw actually improved the parallel reading of the test bar from .003"/4" to .0005"/4" when I sweep it using the carriage.

I really like six jaw chucks and have one on my Clausing with an L00 mount. I hope to pick up one for the 10EE D1-3 at some point in the future.

Same here, my Bison 6 jaw on the 10EE is getting the most use lately. Grabbing fragile crap and modifying fasteners for the rebar machines really lends itself to the 6 jaw. I am really pleased with Bison all around.

On a side note, I scored a D1-3 faceplate AND a D1-3 Pratt Burnerd 8" 4 jaw for CHEEEEP on ebay. They were listed as "8-inch power chucks", no other info!

Back