What's new
What's new

New custodian of round dial 10ee

kmsorensen

Plastic
Hi All. I'm the new custodian of Round Dial 10ee #16238 released in October 1942. It was running when I got it, on 220V RPC driving it's original MG drive. My plan for this lathe after reading the amazing threads on this site, is to clean it up, renew brushes, go through the apron replacing the oil metering and checking oil pump and lines, and then use it and see how it goes. I think that due to the forum I've got a pretty good handle on what oil to put where, but I do have questions regarding the two spindle bearing reservoirs. What's the consensus on what to do with those? Is anyone flushing them with kerosene? And what does "flushing" mean? If the drain sites are the sight glass openings are people just filling the reservoirs over full and then draining them? I was thinking of not using kerosene, just using the ISO 32 oil and maybe overfilling then draining to running oil level and trying not to stir up whatever is in the reservoir sump. Any suggestions for a newby here?
Thanks for all the great information in the threads!

Karl

PS Any advice on finding a follow rest and steady rest?

Welcome to the club, Karl!

Here are two threads that discuss flushing the spindle bearing reservoirs:
I would definitely use kerosene instead of oil for flushing, as discussed in the threads, above.

Cal

Thanks Cal, for the welcome, references, and the advice!
Also thanks for your great postings. The one regarding how to remove the bearing on the tail stock side of the lead screw saved me a world of hurt.

Best,

Karl

Welcome! What part of CA are you in? Chicken lips are more easily found out here :). Congrats on the acquisition.

I'm in San Francisco, but the lathe is in Sea Ranch. We're neighbors!
Did you see the round dial that was on Craig's list for about 12 hours last week? It was in Placerville and was listed as running and for $3500.

Back