What's new
What's new

New Departure Catalogue

nobrakese28

Cast Iron
Hi, thought I would ask here if anyone has a scanned New Departure bearing catalogue. Trying to decipher a part number on my Wells-Index (yes I know this isn't the mill section), but there is a lot of experience with bearings in this forum, specifically NDH. I found one hand book from the 30's, but I think these bearings are from the 60's.

The ND part number is 73L09 X RIC, which translates to 3L09 bearing, or 6009 series bearing.

Really hoping to determine what " X RIC" means.

Thanks,

Marco

Hi, thought I would ask here if anyone has a scanned New Departure bearing catalogue. Trying to decipher a part number on my Wells-Index (yes I know this isn't the mill section), but there is a lot of experience with bearings in this forum, specifically NDH. I found one hand book from the 30's, but I think these bearings are from the 60's.

The ND part number is 73L09 X RIC, which translates to 3L09 bearing, or 6009 series bearing.

Thanks,

Marco

I have spent to many hours doing bearing research.
You need to be able to identify all the parts on your bearing and match the codes. You already know that.
I hope someone has the catalog you need.
See if the links help any with the codes.

Decoding rolling-element bearing numbers | ERIKS shop NL codes for bearing types are as follows:, 3 10 more rows

decoding bearing numbers - Bing

HOW TO UNDERSTAND BEARING NUMBERS - Mechanical engineering concepts and principles

The 1950 partial ND catalog I have says the plain 7309 is a good sized bearing

45 mm in , 100 mm out and 25mm wide

It a "full complement" ball bearing

Hey guys, I took a chance and bought the latest ND catalogue I could find on eBay, 1966. 3L09 seems to be the trade number for it, which is now a 6009 series. Just dying to know what the X RIC is.

Hey guys, I took a chance and bought the latest ND catalogue I could find on eBay, 1966. 3L09 seems to be the trade number for it, which is now a 6009 series. Just dying to know what the X RIC is.

In one link x means external dimensions in line with I.S.O. Another link says x means corrosion resistant..
I think the information below is after information was standardized .

It can be a huge can of worms.

Try to identify your bearing using measurements, shielding, type and precision needed. Trying to find old codes is:willy_nilly::willy_nilly: My opinion
Get your specs together and call and talk to a supplier.

I have found new old stock ND bearings on ebay.
What do numbers in bearing series codes mean?

In our Guide to bearings, we’ve detailed the various types of bearings used in industrial applications and their structural and functional differences. In this article we’ll focus only on rolling-element bearings (ball bearings and roller bearings). If you’re not yet familiar with this type of bearing, go ahead and read our beginner’s guide first.

Now let’s see how to read the roller bearing designations for some of the most popular brands on the market!

Typically, a roller bearing’s designation includes a basic number (designation), surrounded by supplementary codes - suffixes and prefixes. The suffixes and prefixes describe the tolerance, internal clearance and other design particularities.

The basic designation contains 3 to 5 digits and gives general information about the bearing, describing its:

• type
  • boundary dimensions – width (B, C, T or H), outer diameter (D), bore diameter (d), chamfer dimension (r)
  • series number
  • contact angle

So a typical basic bearing designation looks like this: A BC DE, where:

• A – Bearing type
  • B – Width
  • C – Outer diameter
  • DE – Bore diameter

bearing-designation-system-EN-04.png

The boundary dimensions that are internationally standardized include the width and the outer diameter (B, C). Together, these are also referred to as the dimensional series of the bearing. The dimensional series (BC) along with the bearing type (A), so the first three digits of the number, form the bearing series symbol (A BC).

Yeah, this case I think the first digit is just a ND identifier. One supplier said they think the RI is a rubber shield. I plan on pulling the drive pulley and ordering from locateballbearings on eBay, so far all the upper head bearings are about $60.

I've got a couple ND catalogs with the bearing in two of them, but a code page in only one, the May 1943 16th edition. The code page doesn't have everything in your part number, but at least it's something.

73L09 codes.jpg73L09 sizes.jpg

Conrad, those two pages are very helpful! Thank you for posting them, is there by chance another page that states where in the part numbers those codes lie? Like a key to the part number break down?

Alas, there's no info on codes other than the page I scanned. I also have a 1953 catalog but there's no code info at all! It's possible I missed it in the fine print, but I looked three times. They appear to have just deleted the page. The bearing info page is very similar to the 1943. I also have volume II of the 1953 catalog, which covers design and application info, but it doesn't say anything about part numbers or codes. I'm not really surprised as to this day when I deal with bearing companies they're very lax about documentation and labeling. I think they just work to customer specs everybody is apparently born with a full knowledge of what's going on.

Marco,

This is from the 1950 ND Handbook, Volume 1 20th Edition

The 73L09 references an extra light series, radial, non filling slot bearing type.
There is a page in this handbook titled "New Departure Bearing Numbering", I have attached a PDF of this page.

In it, the 7 means it is a shielded, the 3 is for single row non-loading groove, The L denotes the Extra-light series, the 09 are the bore size indications. On the facing page, the X appears to denote the bearing has standard endplay and medium pre-load.

If you look on the facing page at the section called "Complete Identification Code"

You will see that the last three characters are

Noise test letter
Tolerance specification Number
Lubrication code letter

I have been unable to find any references to RIC, I suspect it is R1C. The R being the noise test rating, 1 is the tolerance spec rating and the C means the bearing is lubricated with high-temperature grease.

NewDepartureBearingCodeIdentification.jpg

Thanks,

Marco

X alone might be standard end play or medium pre-load. XR together might be standard radial play. Then again dinotom may have something with his decode, anyway…

The NDH 73L09 bearing is an extra light series single row radial bearing that’s 45mm ID, 75mm OD and 16mm wide with shield on one side (no contact seal).

Best to not fall in love with only one maker for commodity type bearings… A call to a bearing house might get you a choice from other makers that fit the purpose (or a better price). I usually took what I could get my hands on today.

Attached is from bearing interchange as of the late ‘80’s with 2 pages of the prefix/suffix salad provided by NDH at that time.

Good luck,
Matt

Attachments

• NDH_73L09_C.jpg
    NDH_73L09_C.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 67
  • NDH_Prefix_SuffixA.jpg
    NDH_Prefix_SuffixA.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 63
  • NDH_Prefix_SuffixB.jpg
    NDH_Prefix_SuffixB.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 61