What's new
What's new

New felt wipers.

Ultradog MN

Cast Iron
12CK.
While I'm waiting for the parts to build an RPC (it's been almost 3 weeks since I ordered) I am cleaning, changing oil, etc on my new lathe.
I bought some felt to make way wipers and am changing out the old ones.
I noticed that some of the cast iron caps that hold the felt wipers in place are just beginning to rub against the way. This can't be good.
I was thinking about using a file or belt sander and removing some of the metal so they wouldn't touch.
How much clearance would you give them? Does .010" clearance sound about right?
Also, how hard should the felt rub against the way?
I was thinking most any piece you can cram in there and still get the screws in is fine.
Thanks for your collective thoughts.
Jerry

If the cast iron covers are rubbing, it's not a good sign. Indication of serious wear. Time to get a straight edge out and check the bed and saddle for flatness. Have thre ways been re-ground at some point?

If the cast iron covers are rubbing, it's not a good sign. Indication of serious wear. Time to get a straight edge out and check the bed and saddle for flatness. Have thre ways been re-ground at some point?

Yes, I understand it is evidence of wear.
Interestingly enough, the ways look to be surprisingly good. No gouges or scratches on them anywhere. Also, when I looked this machine over I first used the carriage lock and tried the old trick of just tightening it a bit and running the carriage from the left to the right to see where and how badly the lock would begin to tighten up. It tightened slightly at about 20" from the headstock.
Then I put a dial indicator on the carriage and ran it full length. I got a maximum of about 10 thou of variation.
I did not think that was too bad for my purposes.
I guess I think of the ways wearing and forget that the carriage wears also. And of course carriage wear must be what caused the felt caps to touch the ways.
Getting back to my original questions here; is there a rule of thumb for how much clearance between the felt caps and ways? And how hard should I cram the new felts in there?
Thanks

When I install new felts, I release the bed bearings, soak the felt in way oil, fit the felts and covers, then reclamp the bed bearings. If I have done it right, moving the carriage takes a bit of oomph. However, after a few days use they free up and I think I get a real good seal.

Back