What's new
What's new

New Guy with questions

Kurt_W

Plastic
Hey all,

Seems the facility I work for is excessing some Monarch 10EE's and I was wondering what to look for as I'm new to all this.

From what I understand they were converted to solid state. The writing on some seem to indicate electrical problems.

Can anybody give me some pointers for what to look for?

Thanks,

Kurt

Converted to solid state can mean a lot of things. A electronic DC control coud have been installed or the motor replaced and a VFD installed.

If a new DC motor control has been installed then the issue is did they use the correct motor drive for the motor that is installed. Pop the covers and take some pics and notes and then come back.

OK

I'll have to check and see if it's ok to snap a few pics. How about mechanicals...what to look for there? I'm sure if I speak with somebody I know out on the shop floor, maybe I can get the skinny on these.

If they're cheap enough,the second thing you want to look for before buying and first thing after buying yours is my phone number, so I can get one too! :) hhhmmmm excessing.......that sounds like scrap metal price to me!

I sure wish I could get them at scrap metal prices. They'll be auctioned off in the coming months. These folks don't excess anything unless there's something very wrong with the equipment. I'm pretty sure there will be competition for these units.

My thought was to buy them all, make one good one of the lot and sell the rest off. That's my thought, there is another in the household that will probably object to this...

Kurt

When you check out the lathe also look for the accessories that came with the lathe.
Sometimes, but not always accessories were marked with the same ser# as the machine they came with.(steady rest, follower rest face plates.)

Tooling has a way of migrating to the most popular machine.

You could always try going to the power that be and see if their willing to sell the outright and save them the trouble and auction fee. You have nothing to loose.

If you get a chance post some pictures.

Hal

Simple solution, don't tell the other, but you better have a place to stash them out of sight.

Once you have a shop with more than a few machines, a new one never excites much interest, so go for it. If she notices, you just don't have enough machines yet!

-Dave

Once you have a shop with more than a few machines, a new one never excites much interest, so go for it. If she notices, you just don't have enough machines yet!

-Dave

I always thought I could get away with "just one more", but in the gun world and not the machine tool world. I was in the gun safe one day and my 9 year old daughter was looking over my shoulder and she commented "That's a new one". Trying my jedi mind control on her I replied: "No, it's not new". Her reply? "It might not be new, but it's new to you".

She's married now.

Okay, here's what I found out so far.

All the machines have 460 volt 3 ph power, does that make sense? There's a big box on the backside. Writing on the electrical box says "controller blown", so I'm guessing the electronics are messed up. The one missing the box has "controller stripped" written on the headstock.

I am meeting sometime tomorrow with the mechanical maintenence tech and an electrical tech.

Would I be correct in assuming these repairs are expensive?

Edit: Just went out to the car and got the following info. 2 of the 3 lathes in question have this large electrical box attached. The other one (newer) doesn't. The newer one dom 9/86, the other 2 dom 8/61, 6/60. The placard on the electrical box refers to wiring dwg no 86398. I have pics but need to upload.

Last edited:
Photos

Here are pics of the Monarchs:

Attachments

• 1986_10ee.jpg
    1986_10ee.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 298
  • 1960_10ee.jpg
    1960_10ee.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 278
  • 1961_10ee.jpg
    1961_10ee.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 259
The 2 on the right are 30" center machines, very rare, the one on the left is a standard inch/metric machine. All 3 are very desirable. If you can get all 3.
Harry

Wow! Really nice looking machines...

Kinda funny..."new guy" comes in with questions not knowing he has come across three EE's which all happen to be most desirable! Get 'em all if you can!!! This is one deal you'll probabley never again come across...

Thanks!
Eric

Well Kurt,

You have stumbled onto the Holly Grail of 10EE's the one on the left is an inch metric with ELSR and the two others are inch only but with the elusive 30" bed. All of these are highly desirable issues of 10EE's and look to reasonably well kept. Any of these could be a great lathe to have and a VFD conversion is not too expensive in the grand scheme of things worst case.

You are in an enviable position to choose between the three machines shown, good luck and consider what is more important to YOU. Is cutting metric threads high on the list or would having the extra length be more useful? The I/M lathe may be more valuable on the open market but that is hard to say. I passed on a 1961 30" with ELSR and a lot of tooling in December that had a drive issue with the original system for 6000.00. I ended up buying a 1976 I/M machine with a funky DC conversion for 5700.00 with a Monarch cabinet and tooling. I also bought a 30" bed with the feed and lead screw to make my own long bed I/M.

Steve

"If" all 3 were available, would anyone venture a guess how high I should bid? I know it's a loaded question as there are variables here, condition, electrical problems, wear. I have some time before these items are auctioned off (couple months) to speak with the mechanical and electrical service techs here.

Kurt

Back