Thread: New Machine Day

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Kansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Looks to have hand stamp of “156 VOLT EXCITATION” on the upper part of the motor plate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mjf46 View Post
    Here is a picture of the single phase transformer. The primary is wired for 440v and the secondary is 115v.

My MG motor data plate shows 420V 3 phase and does not appear to be a dual voltage motor.

Is it fair to say my options are:
    1) Rewire the MG for 220v (not sure this is feasible)
    2) Replace the MG with a 220v unit
    3) Use a 3 phase boost transformer
    4) Convince the power company to run 440v to my garage
    5) Buy a new house with 60' x 80' shop that already has 440v power? ..landing strip for a small plane would be nice too.

Attachment 278331

Attachment 278332

Attachment 278333
    You left out a few options. You already have a good DC motor. So you have several additional good options: 1) replace the MG with an after market DC drive. 2) replace motor and motor generator with a 10HP 3-phase motor and a VFD. 3) replace motor and motor generator with a brushless servo motor (Retrofit of 10EE Drive to AC Brushless Servo Motor)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here is a picture of the single phase transformer. The primary is wired for 440v and the secondary is 115v.

My MG motor data plate shows 420V 3 phase and does not appear to be a dual voltage motor.

Is it fair to say my options are:
    1) Rewire the MG for 220v (not sure this is feasible)
    2) Replace the MG with a 220v unit
    3) Use a 3 phase boost transformer
    4) Convince the power company to run 440v to my garage
    5) Buy a new house with 60' x 80' shop that already has 440v power? ..landing strip for a small plane would be nice too.

Attachment 278331

Attachment 278332

Attachment 278333
    Option 2 might be the best. There are some from newer units that had the belt drive exciter that was 115 Volt.
    Might take some fussing to get the newer MG minus the exciter to fit in your machine. The box does the work of the exciter.

With 115 Volt DC, the DC panel and spindle motor are much more plentiful than the 230 VDC panels and spindle motors.

Your existing MG may be wired in a Y configuration, if so opening the Y and bringing out the other 3 leads to convert to 240 Delta.

Beyond that I would consider a KB electronics 5 HP KBRG and a 3 or 4 position selector switch to add resistors in series with the motor field for higher speeds than base RPM

OR using a Parker drive:

The Parker drives have enough power to allow you to use the existing speed control rheostats.
    This is a conversion I worked on awhile back, full disclosure of what I did, schematics and lots of pictures.:
    43 10ee MG with Parker 514c-16 DC Controller
    The parker is really a one stop solution for replacing the MG, exciter and DC panel.

Bill
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails parker-schematics1_zpsmy8e54d5.jpg  
    Last edited by hitandmiss; 02-12-2020 at 08:50 AM.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

LOL!
    Touche

View of the electrical system.
    Looks factory for 1941?
    Attachment 278018
    Attachment 278019
    The forward and reverse contactors appear to have been changed. Here's a typical DC control panel of that vintage:
    ee10445-img_0771-dc-control-panel.jpg

Based on the Sentinel (Shrewsbury) Ltd tag on the machine and the odd voltage at 50Hz, it seems probable that the machine spent time in the UK. I don't recognize the replacement contactors, perhaps one of our British members will.

Where can I find the most comprehensive owners manual?
    Here's a nice scan of the 1942 manual: (link) It's not correct for the inline exciter version of the 10EE, but it's pretty close. I would be surprised if Monarch has the 1941 manual, but you can try them. Make sure you verify that you will be getting the correct manual and wiring diagram before you whip out your credit card. As far as I know, they just send a poor photo copy of the linked manual for any and all round-dials and a generic wiring diagram (EE-2674). If you do wind up using the motor/generator and/or DC panel, e-mail me and I can get you a copy of drawing EE-2452, which I believe is correct for the machine (modifications to F/R contactors not withstanding). If you do contact Monarch, Terrie can tell you who was the original buyer of the machine.

Cal