What's new
What's new

New to me 10EE, how to start spindle?

slowmotion

Cast Iron
Sorry for the rookie question but I'm trying to get this lathe running for a friend. Turns out it's 220 single phase, which we've stepped down from 460 with a transformer. Machine seems to turn on, ON light comes on, fan runs. Manual is 1972, machine is 1969 so the spindle control lever is not where the manual says it is. I assume it's the lever in pic #1. This machine has the "electric leadscrew reverse" so the lever does not connect to a drum switch. There are 3 switches on the tailstock end that engage the motor apparently. The spindle will not start. Am I missing something on the start-up procedure? TIA.
DSC01188 (Small).JPG
DSC01189 (Small).jpg

There should be a lever on the apron, bottom RH . The apron has the big handwheel and the dial things. The lever shown is the gearbox tumbler lever, to change thread gearing on the gearbox.

... Manual is 1972, machine is 1969 so the spindle control lever is not where the manual says it is. I assume it's the lever in pic #1. This machine has the "electric leadscrew reverse" so the lever does not connect to a drum switch. ...
Here's a link to the 1965 manual, but I doubt it's much different from your 1972 manual. The Electric Leadscrew Reverse option is covered on pages 8 and 9. Look at figure 11. Lever B controls the spindle, in conjunction with knob G on the right end of the bed. There are also several interlocks that will keep the spindle from starting, but it's been years since I ran a "Modular Drive" machine like yours, so others will be better able to help you there.

Cal

There is a neutral position on an ELSR switch that will keep it off. Switching it to forward or reverse will allow it to start. That is the rotary switch on the tail end of the bed.

Bill

The speed control is the round chrome knob located near the backgear lever (far left end of the front of the machine). Think it is good practice to turn it all the way counterclockwise before starting the spindle via the spindle lever or ELSR switch, then gradually ramp it up.

The safety interlocks Cal mentioned: there is a relay on the spindle lock (chrome knob at the top right of the headstock cover), a solenoid on the front electrical panel door, and a solenoid on the back gear to prevent shifting above 200rpm(or so).

Last edited:
Solved. Turns out the interlock for the front panel door is bad, the door can open when the machine is turned on. So I pulled the plunger down, wrapped a cable tie around it, now the spindle comes on. Thanks for the support, surprisingly friendly responses considering such a rookie question!

Back