New to me 10EE, how to start spindle?
Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default New to me 10EE, how to start spindle?

Sorry for the rookie question but I'm trying to get this lathe running for a friend. Turns out it's 220 single phase, which we've stepped down from 460 with a transformer. Machine seems to turn on, ON light comes on, fan runs. Manual is 1972, machine is 1969 so the spindle control lever is not where the manual says it is. I assume it's the lever in pic #1. This machine has the "electric leadscrew reverse" so the lever does not connect to a drum switch. There are 3 switches on the tailstock end that engage the motor apparently. The spindle will not start. Am I missing something on the start-up procedure? TIA.
    dsc01188-small-.jpg
    dsc01189-small-.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There should be a lever on the apron, bottom RH . The apron has the big handwheel and the dial things. The lever shown is the gearbox tumbler lever, to change thread gearing on the gearbox.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by slowmotion View Post
    ... Manual is 1972, machine is 1969 so the spindle control lever is not where the manual says it is. I assume it's the lever in pic #1. This machine has the "electric leadscrew reverse" so the lever does not connect to a drum switch. ...
    Here's a link to the 1965 manual, but I doubt it's much different from your 1972 manual. The Electric Leadscrew Reverse option is covered on pages 8 and 9. Look at figure 11. Lever B controls the spindle, in conjunction with knob G on the right end of the bed. There are also several interlocks that will keep the spindle from starting, but it's been years since I ran a "Modular Drive" machine like yours, so others will be better able to help you there.

Cal

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There is a neutral position on an ELSR switch that will keep it off. Switching it to forward or reverse will allow it to start. That is the rotary switch on the tail end of the bed.

Bill

5. Likes old_dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

OK thanks, great replies, gives me several things to check tomorrow. I will give a full report when it's burnin' gas.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The speed control is the round chrome knob located near the backgear lever (far left end of the front of the machine). Think it is good practice to turn it all the way counterclockwise before starting the spindle via the spindle lever or ELSR switch, then gradually ramp it up.

The safety interlocks Cal mentioned: there is a relay on the spindle lock (chrome knob at the top right of the headstock cover), a solenoid on the front electrical panel door, and a solenoid on the back gear to prevent shifting above 200rpm(or so).
    Last edited by Colt45; 08-16-2019 at 10:25 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Solved. Turns out the interlock for the front panel door is bad, the door can open when the machine is turned on. So I pulled the plunger down, wrapped a cable tie around it, now the spindle comes on. Thanks for the support, surprisingly friendly responses considering such a rookie question!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by slowmotion View Post
    Solved. Turns out the interlock for the front panel door is bad, the door can open when the machine is turned on. So I pulled the plunger down, wrapped a cable tie around it, now the spindle comes on. Thanks for the support, surprisingly friendly responses considering such a rookie question!
    Some were about to ask for pictures when you said "burning gas". Steam having been done, arredy.

As with "country boys", a 10EE "can survive". Thing is, they can last longer than we do.

So we all starts out "rookies", then comes back to that state as old age has us ferget and have to ask it all again...