What's new
What's new

New to me 10EE Serial number 46440

K. Byas

Plastic
Hi Folks,
I just acquired this 10EE. It's in rough shape but I'm going to try and resurrect it. The first order of business is to find a replacement motor and back gear unit. This machine originally came with a 5HP GE Kinematic Motor (at least that's what the motor plate says). At some point the tubes were replaced with a Penta Power KBRG-255 drive. I've got some pics I can post of what's currently there in terms of electrical.

I'm trying to decide how to proceed. I have a source for a replacement Monarch DC motor. Is there an advantage to using a Reliance 3 HP unit over a 5HP GE unit? Anything I should be on the lookout for when acquiring a replacement motor?

I do have a manual I ordered from Monarch.

Here are some pics from the auction listing:
s-l500.jpgs-l500-2.jpg

Thanks for the info. This thing came out of a Dayco plant and it is COATED in oil and rubber residue. I also know there is significant wear on the ways but I'm not going to worry about all that until I get it cleaned up, lubed and the spindle turning. I know the saddle isn't pumping oil onto the ways so at a minimum I'll have to address that issue. Given the overall condition of the machine, I'm sure I'll be finding other... "issues" that will have to be addressed. My goal is to try and put this back in something like original condition.

I have never put anything on here about my lathe but yours is the closest serial number that I have seen to mine. My serial number is 46456. They must have been on the assembly line at the same time except mine was like new. It hadn't been used hardly any. No wear. Attached is an image of the man who's name is on the bill of sale. You should read about him as he is an interesting fellow. His name is Miles Lowell Edwards of Starr-Edwards heart valve. Images attached I hope.
Monarch.jpgIMG_E0732.jpgMiles Lowell Edwards.jpg

What am I missing?

So here's a picture of the electronic unit board in my lathe:

IMG_5761.jpg
As you can see, it's been modified by installing aPenta Power KBRG-255 drive board. I'm trying to figure out what has been removed and will need to be replaced in order to use tube replacements from Scissio Controls. Unfortunately, I don't have a pic of the reverse side of this board. At a minimum it looks like I'm missing a couple of transformers. I'm hoping you folks can clue me in for anything else that's not there.

So, I acquired a motor off Ebay. Long story but I didn't get to pick as the lathe seller owed me a motor and supplied one. This is what I got:
Reliance-3hp-04-plate.jpg

Still wrapped up
Reliance-3hp-01.jpg

Back end view:
Reliance-3hp-02.jpg

Gearbox end
Reliance-3hp-03-gbox.jpg

This lathe originally came with a GE 5HP Kinematic. I know where one of those is and I can acquire it for what I consider to be a reasonable sum. My question is, how different is the wiring for a 3HP Reliance motor vs. the GE? I was planning on using the Penta Power board that's in it or a module and tubes from Scissio Controls.

... I was planning on using the Penta Power board that's in it or a module and tubes from Scissio Controls.
Do you have the rest of a Modular Drive? Scisso doesn't have a complete drive, just the "module" part of a Modular Drive and C16J replacements. You need all the relays, transformers, etc., from the Modular Drive.

Cal

I believe I do have all the parts. I’ll have to verify that is a true statement. The lathe started out that way at least. No telling what I’ll find once I start digging. :)

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I did notice the base speed on this motor tops out at 2500 rpm. Was this motor likely from a round dial lathe or did one get 4k rpm via sizing the sheaves such that the spindle rotated at 4k? I'm pretty sure this has been discussed previously but my search fu isn't up to the task. Feel free to share a link. I don't mind doing my own reading (assuming I can find the content).

You really should go with the same motor that the modular drive was designed for: a modern 5HP DC motor, like the GE. Forget using the 3HP motor that was part of a motor generator driven lathe. All of these components were designed into a system by Monarch, mixing and matching is not the best approach. Get the modular drive working and you will have an unbeatable combination.

Back