UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default New to me 10EE Serial number 46440

Hi Folks,
    I just acquired this 10EE. It's in rough shape but I'm going to try and resurrect it. The first order of business is to find a replacement motor and back gear unit. This machine originally came with a 5HP GE Kinematic Motor (at least that's what the motor plate says). At some point the tubes were replaced with a Penta Power KBRG-255 drive. I've got some pics I can post of what's currently there in terms of electrical.

I'm trying to decide how to proceed. I have a source for a replacement Monarch DC motor. Is there an advantage to using a Reliance 3 HP unit over a 5HP GE unit? Anything I should be on the lookout for when acquiring a replacement motor?

I do have a manual I ordered from Monarch.

Here are some pics from the auction listing:
    s-l500.jpgs-l500-2.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by K. Byas View Post
    Hi Folks,
    I just acquired this 10EE. It's in rough shape but I'm going to try and resurrect it. The first order of business is to find a replacement motor and back gear unit. This machine originally came with a 5HP GE Kinematic Motor (at least that's what the motor plate says). At some point the tubes were replaced with a Penta Power KBRG-255 drive. I've got some pics I can post of what's currently there in terms of electrical.

I'm trying to decide how to proceed. I have a source for a replacement Monarch DC motor. Is there an advantage to using a Reliance 3 HP unit over a 5HP GE unit? Anything I should be on the lookout for when acquiring a replacement motor?

I do have a manual I ordered from Monarch.

Here are some pics from the auction listing:
    s-l500.jpgs-l500-2.jpg
    The KBRG-255 ( I have one..) is the wrong DC Drive for any 10EE motor. They are nominal 230 VDC, but Monarch actually operated them at 245-265 VDC and above.

I have 180 VDC motors that I use with the KB-Penta DC Drives. Different animals. oxen vs racehorse thing.

If you still have ANY 10EE DC motor, 3 HP or 5 HP, all you need is one of the "right" DC Drives & "stuff", and the power part is covered.

See:

Parker/Eurotherm 514C/507 4Q SSD DC Retrofit into 1961 10EE Modular

That is near-as-dammit the EXACT same rig as I used for the 3 HP motors, even the same option settings.

The rest of the machine is a separate issue.

Check your lubricants. It might be ready to make parts.

The KB drive just limits it to less than half its original HP, can't run smooth, can't regulate well, can't run fast, can't even buy itself a Greyhound bus ticket to run home and hide, either.

You would have very similar problems putting a 6-Volt battery in a motor car built with a 12 Volt system. You wouldn't be THAT daft.

For some unexplainable reason, folk DID put 180 VDC drives into functionally TWO-eighty Volt (with reserves) 10EE.

Must have thought their sh**t was high-Voltage?

Sure as s**t it weren't their brains!

3. Likes K. Byas liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the info. This thing came out of a Dayco plant and it is COATED in oil and rubber residue. I also know there is significant wear on the ways but I'm not going to worry about all that until I get it cleaned up, lubed and the spindle turning. I know the saddle isn't pumping oil onto the ways so at a minimum I'll have to address that issue. Given the overall condition of the machine, I'm sure I'll be finding other... "issues" that will have to be addressed. My goal is to try and put this back in something like original condition.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the info. This thing came out of a Dayco plant and it is COATED in oil and rubber residue. I also know there is significant wear on the ways but I'm not going to worry about all that until I get it cleaned up, lubed and the spindle turning. I know the saddle isn't pumping oil onto the ways so at a minimum I'll have to address that issue. Given the overall condition of the machine, I'm sure I'll be finding other... "issues" that will have to be addressed. My goal is to try and put this back in something like original condition.
    "Original' is nice. Also not really needed. "Close" is more than good enough.

A 10EE can still make good parts with horrible bed wear. Just take a tape measure left/right end to end of the saddle CI back of the wiper covers.

Longer than the 20" of travel. And each of the ways has twice the width it needs.

Decent spindle bearings, proper power. She'll still rip good chip if she's belly crawling on broken glass under grazing machine gun fire.

It's what they do.

All else is just the gravy and desert to make YOUR life easier and more pleasant needing less "compensating".

Not a BAD thing, that..but still...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have never put anything on here about my lathe but yours is the closest serial number that I have seen to mine. My serial number is 46456. They must have been on the assembly line at the same time except mine was like new. It hadn't been used hardly any. No wear. Attached is an image of the man who's name is on the bill of sale. You should read about him as he is an interesting fellow. His name is Miles Lowell Edwards of Starr-Edwards heart valve. Images attached I hope.
    monarch.jpgimg_e0732.jpgmiles-lowell-edwards.jpg

7. Likes TheOldCar liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wow! That was a score on multiple levels. I perused this article on OHSU's website. Great read. Thanks for sharing that.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default What am I missing?

So here's a picture of the electronic unit board in my lathe:

img_5761.jpg
    As you can see, it's been modified by installing aPenta Power KBRG-255 drive board. I'm trying to figure out what has been removed and will need to be replaced in order to use tube replacements from Scissio Controls. Unfortunately, I don't have a pic of the reverse side of this board. At a minimum it looks like I'm missing a couple of transformers. I'm hoping you folks can clue me in for anything else that's not there.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So here's a picture of the electronic unit board in my lathe:

img_5761.jpg
    As you can see, it's been modified by installing aPenta Power KBRG-255 drive board. I'm trying to figure out what has been removed and will need to be replaced in order to use tube replacements from Scissio Controls. Unfortunately, I don't have a pic of the reverse side of this board. At a minimum it looks like I'm missing a couple of transformers. I'm hoping you folks can clue me in for anything else that's not there.
    "What you are missing" is the entire OEM Modular drive.

I have one of the the same KBRG-255 drives- and a bunch more KB's..

It doesn't need ANYTHING not already on it's own chassis, not even braking resistors, and SURELY not "contactors" .

It's a full "4Q" regenerative drive.

Also only a 180 VDC one, sadly!

Works OK on the 180 VDC wound motors it was built for.

It wasn't worth even 60% of a weak damn for the Monarch 230 VDC motors that actually run at 245-255 VDC ... and HIGHER.

No fear, here. I have plenty of Reliance Motors that ARE 180 VDC wound!