What's new
What's new

New to Me 16CW a few questions?

supernachos

Plastic
Hello Everybody,

New here. Picked up a 16CW yesterday and I had a few questions.

1) Is is possible that this is the original paint? There are a few wear spots that show grey paint underneath but maybe that's primer? Just curious on anybody's thoughts.

2) Where is the best place to pick up a manual for this?

3) I'm missing a steady rest and the clamp/bar for the taper attachment. Does anyone have any recommendation on how to source those economically?

Thanks for looking!

lathe11.jpg
lathe22.jpg

Hello Everybody,

New here. Picked up a 16CW yesterday and I had a few questions.

1) Is is possible that this is the original paint? There are a few wear spots that show grey paint underneath but maybe that's primer? Just curious on anybody's thoughts.

2) Where is the best place to pick up a manual for this?

3) I'm missing a steady rest and the clamp/bar for the taper attachment. Does anyone have any recommendation on how to source those economically?

Thanks for looking!

View attachment 254091
View attachment 254092

Exciting purchase. Paint on this unit was green but I doubt if this is original. To find a machine with original paint would be rare but this is close to the actual color.

I am rebuilding a 16"CY lathe 9-1943, very close to yours. You can check out my posts.

I'm looking for the same clamp bar and rod for my taper attachment. I have had no luck yet... Many have the same issue and resort to making a clamp.

As for a manual, you can buy what mainly is a brochure with some info from Monarch. It is not worth the cost but gives you some access to Monarch customer service.

You are going to find that parts are available from Monarch but they will be unbelievably expensive. I am rebuilding my CY with new bearings, cross feed screw and nut, and repair all the loose and worn parts.

I can send you some of the information and pdf's. PM me with your email.

There is several forum postings on your lathe that have been invaluable for my project.

90355148.jpg

As you can see, my lathe had been repainted and had several layers from original green, to orange for Clark equipment, then gray... I am stripping all the paint and either going with an interesting color (Red, Off white) or original green (Ug).

William

The clamp/bar for the taper attachment that came with my lathe is broken. I'm actually trying to figure out what the part looks like that is broken so I can make a pattern and have one cast. I have a CW and a CY, the CY is missing the clamp/bar completely so I'm going to need two. Anyway, this is what my broken one looks like, don't know if it helps you or not.

IMG_1583.jpg
IMG_1581.jpg
IMG_1582.jpg

The clamp/bar for the taper attachment that came with my lathe is broken. I'm actually trying to figure out what the part looks like that is broken so I can make a pattern and have one cast. I have a CW and a CY, the CY is missing the clamp/bar completely so I'm going to need two. Anyway, this is what my broken one looks like, don't know if it helps you or not.

View attachment 254203
View attachment 254205
View attachment 254204

Yup, I'm missing everything from the taper attachment to the clamp. I'll have make all the parts.

There is a cast part that attaches to the taper attachment as you mentioned. My cast part is still on the taper attachment but the rod is broke off. Seams to be a common issue. Maybe I can make mine and a few others and see how they sell?

I may get in contact with you to get an accurate drawing of the clamp you have in your pictures.

Just a little more iron on the end. Mill it flat and bolt on a piece that clears side of tail stock. The missing iron fit up against the very low shoulder
of the rear way.

The small hole is for a 1/2" rod that screws into T/A that I suppose is supposed to do some guiding to prevent the clamp from getting jammed (by cocking) and broken

Photos of my busted and brazed one I gave away

Attachments

• DCP_0966.jpg
    DCP_0966.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 66
  • DCP_0965.jpg
    DCP_0965.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 59
  • DCP_0964.jpg
    DCP_0964.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 53
  • DCP_0963.jpg
    DCP_0963.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 65
It's designed to break and save the taper attachment from damage in the event the operator over-travels the TA. In normal operation the stock clamp will NEVER fail. Just a word to the wise: if you redesign it so that it can't fail there, you may regret it.

Cal

It's designed to break and save the taper attachment from damage in the event the operator over-travels the TA. In normal operation the stock clamp will NEVER fail. Just a word to the wise: if you redesign it so that it can't fail there, you may regret it.

Cal

Good info. This lathe is new to me and my first Monarch. I'm still learning everything about it. I'm in the process of cleaning it up, its not in bad shape but really really dirty. And that tan paint is flaking off everywhere I clean.

My take on the breakage is that it happens when folks ARE NOT using the T/A - but are dragging the clamp back and forth with the rod - while it IS NOT CLAMPED DOWN and is free to get COCKED

This would happen if the jam nuts (on rod) front and back up the clamp were not tight

Either way, it's operator error. It's so easy to just lift the thing off and set it aside, that there's no excuse for leaving it loose. And I suspect that the fact that it IS easy to remove and set aside explains why so many of them get separated from the machine they belong with.

Too bad that Monarch didn't provide a bracket to store it on when not needed.

Cal

TA Clamp

Here's a couple of pictures from a Monarch 18" CBP I have access to. It looks identical to my CW clamp from John Oder. I took the pics of the rod and jam nuts for reference as I will be duplicating these. If the current owner will part with them I won't have to make them! You see how often they are used!

Attachments

• 20190405_101308.jpg
    20190405_101308.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 71
  • 20190405_101305.jpg
    20190405_101305.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 57
  • 20190405_101605.jpg
    20190405_101605.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 66

Back