What's new
What's new

New to me 1955 WIAD 10EE #41169 Air Gauge Tracer Lathe.

NateA2

Cast Iron
I recently sold sold my CHNC to a friend. I wanted to replace it with a 10ee to convert to CNC.

I bought a used 10ee #41169 that was located in Long Island. I made the drive from Ann Arbor MI to Long Island this last weekend and picked the new 10ee up. LONG DRIVE! Seller was great. Got loaded safely and with care (thanks to his guys)

I have a call in to Monarch for a schematic and info on this AGT 10ee.

The AGT unit is long gone. This lathe not having a swiveling compound is immaterial to me as this machine is going CNC.

Looks like it is a mostly complete square dial 10ee. Appears to have all of the normal functionality of a non AGT 10ee save for the swiveling compound.

given that the AGT unit is gone, and that I dont see a contactor anywhere including in the cover on the rear of the headstock, I suspect that to wire up this machine to power I will need a contactor. I have a spare MG contactor from another 10ee, I believe its 220V and I have a 20HP RPC to power this new used lathe.

Am I correct that I will need a contactor?

The DC motor appears to be a 6 wire. Double windings for the WIAD drive?

I am reasonable fammilar with MG 10ee's and currently my primary lathe is a 1942 10ee MG.

I am missing one tube. a 6N060. I believe I can find one on ebay NOS.

Can anyone explain to me how power may be applied to this machine. I believe that the AGT unit contained a contactor but then again, you folks would certainly know better than me!

I have seen some brief mention of AGT 10ee's in this forum and online elsewhere, but nothing substantial. I am hoping some of you will find this AGT lathe interesting!

hoping that some of you will have some input here that can point me in the right direction!

Please see the pics below. Better pics will follow soon once I drop this machine down into my basement shop (remove kitchen floor plug and lower down into shop from outside house- I do this regularly as a few of you will know!)

Thanks for looking and I look forward to discussing this AGT 10ee.

Nate in Ann Arbor MI.

Monarch got RIGHT back to me with a schematic- AMAZING.

They also noted that the machine was originally sold as an AGT (so not a retrofit) and that GE Riverworks was its original buyer. Looks like this also was known as AFP #29.

Additionally- it appears that at least 2 transformers are replacements as they are marked AUG 1984. Interesting.

Last edited:
Yes you will need a contractor to turn on the lathe You will not need the 20 HP RPC as it is single phase is all it needs.

The non-tracer version of the square dial was normally supplied with a disconnect under the back of the headstock and the power contactor mounted in a form fitting box on the back of the headstock. The drive start and e-stop were on the base below the C-D-E knob on the gearbox.

When turned on with the disconnect the fan would be powered as well as the tube filaments. Pressing the start would power the field and allow power. Once the 6NO60 timer tube was warm and closed the main power could be engaged by pressing the lit "start" button (mine is older and labeled "motor start") button and pulling in the power contactor. If you follow the diagram below you can find it with a couple of other bits - mostly the overloads and a microswitch, likely on the fwd/rev control (in later models these were also in the front door and on the spindle lock). The 'stop' is a NC button followed by the field loss relay, pressing the button or losing field would cause the power contactor to open.

10ee_control_circuit.png

Well, I found the tag on the 3hp reliance DC motor. Looks like its 220v!

the 6 wires that appear to originate at the motor (and I suspect originally went to a contactor in the AGT unit (long gone) are unlabeled as far as I can tell. Possibly they are labeled in the junction box on the side of the motor?

Any thoughts on how to figure out what the wires are?

Interesting- according to the original sheet from Monarch, the lathe was 440v. The Reliance motor is 230v, so I am guessing the HUGE transformer at the rear of the WIAD drawer might be a step down transformer.

The transformer I mention is massive. probably weighs 60-100 lbs. Its about 10"x10"x10" do all WIAD drawers have this monster at the back, or is this what i think it is, a step down transformer?

The transformer is the supply for the motor drive as the spindle motor is 220 VDC Not AC and yes all WIAD have that transformer can be wired for 220 or 440 if still wired for 440 you will need to reconnect the other transformers to 220 AC to. On 220V it is a step up transformer on 440V it is a step down.

Ok, this is making a bit more sense. The large transformer will need to be rewired for 220vac and the large transformer provides the starting point of the rectification of power for supply to the 230vdc motor.

In addition to the rewire of this transformer, the smaller transformers will ALL? need to be rewired from 440vac to 220vac?

please note: of the last two pictures posted, the "large transformer" is the one buried at the bottom rear of the drawer. its tag is the other picture above.

Will post Monarch's schematics associated with this lathe. Then I can put a name to the large transformer and begin to try and understand how power flows through the control/motor.

I am hoping that if I can get the schematics posted, I can figure out where in the chain the contactor should be.

I have a basic understanding of the MG 10ee I have.

This WIAD drive is a beautiful and interesting thing. This one appears to have been serviced post 1984 as two transformers are clearly marked AUG 1984.

I suppose the most logical path to having this WIAD unit operable is to nix the control panel (mounted from rear behind headstock and has 9 or so buttons lights and switches. Then wire up a switch to power the WIAD drive per the normal 1955 10ee with WIAD drive method, thus I can et rid of the lingering AGT units wireing and control.

The peckerhead proves the motor to be a 4 wire. I was incorrect about it being a 6 wire. clearly labeled as A1 A2 F1 F2. Should have opened the junction box before asking.

The really large transformer is for the armature - on a 220V supply it's arranged as a step up to 300V, on a 440V supply it's arranged as a step down to 300V. The reason for this is that there's some loss on the way to the armature and that the drive is going to push the motor a little overspec to 250V (or near there, I think spec on mine was 245).

As I recall transformers to change there's the armature, 2 anode transformers and the filament transformer(s?).

Back