What's new
What's new

New to me 1957 10ee parts

Superbowl

Hot Rolled
Hi Guys,
I am a long time lurker on other PM topics and unexpectedly picked up a 10ee recently from a lady who needed the machine gone asap. I really did not need or have room for another lathe, but could not pass up a 10ee at a bargain price. I just got it rewired and up and working. So far I have found two things missing. One is the locking ring on the micrometer for the compound, and the other is the oil fill cover (round cover with three screw holes) on the apron. If anyone has extras of these two parts please let me know as I am happy to pay a fair price. I am sure I could make them both but would rather put original parts on the machine.

10ee cover.jpg

Attachments

• 10ee cover.jpg
    10ee cover.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 89
  • 10ee lock ring.jpg
    10ee lock ring.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 91
Yes, this the late Leigh's lathe. The large oil port under the spindle is brass with a screw cap. On top of the spindle is some small sheet metal Gitts with the spring lids. As far as the missing one, I am happy to go with whatever style I can find with the three hole cover.

No I did not get a bezel so I just have a big open hole I want to at least cover.

Thanks thermite , I will email you. I assume Leigh was making chips with this open hole as the coolant basin was jammed up to the ways with swarf. I know this location is unlikely to catch a flying chip but it goes against my nature to leave a gaping hole open to a gear train.

Hi Thermite. I am new to this and can not find your email on the forum so I sent you a friend request.

First chips, but found a problem

I finally made some chips with the new 10ee. The lathe came with a Chinese AXA tool post and a set of holders but it did not fit the tee slot so I don't know what the previous owner used. As a temporary solution I machined the AXA tee nut to fit, but plan to use the "real" Aloris BXA from my Clausing in the future. In the photo you can see the new tee nut I just machined on the Bridgeport and a 5/8" 18 tpi bolt that I am turning the head down on to recess into the tee nut when I have time so I can mount the BXA.

I love the large micrometer dials and hand wheels on the 10ee, so much better that the ones on the Clausing. Also one unexpected benefit is that the 10ee sits much higher (partially because it is on 4"x4" lumber) so I don't have to bend down which makes it is easier on my back.

The problem I found is that the spanner screw that holds on the compound handle is broken off inside the lead screw and the handle is stuck on (maybe it is glued in.) I need to remove it because the compound micrometer locking collar was missing when I got the lathe and I plan to make a new one. I have the compound propped up vertical with a pool of Kroll on top of the broken off screw. Later I will try later to get the handle off and the broken screw out but may have use heat on the handle if glued.

Attachments

• lathe chips.jpg
    lathe chips.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 25

Back