What's new
What's new

New to me 68 10ee

LetErEat

Plastic
Having some issue getting this lathe to power on. Pervious owner said he had it running at one point however I opened up the panels and found quite a bit of wiring changes I have access to 220/240 3 phase but the previous owner did not and I believe there was mention of it running on single phase. Photos in the link Andrew Perry's Library | Photobucket

Got tangled up with photobucket not wanting to show pictures.
Things will work much better to upload your pictures to PM.
Edit post and go to advanced and manage attachments.

Bill

Mine is a 69 model just a few machines after yours. However mine was gutted to "up date" the drive to newer equipment. Originally and now it runs on 240VAC single phase. Only the coolant pump is a 3 phase motor. Yours is likekly the same. Search YouTube for some well done videos on a modular machine start up and testing. I forget his name now but he is on PM too.

All tube drives machines are native single phase, as mentioned the coolant pump if supplied is the only three phase consumer. The voltage the machine is configured to use is needed, they can be configured for 480 or 240. The transformer taps on the large transformer are a good place to start.

Steve

Yep, photobucket is worthless let alone slower heck displaying images. Just insert your image into your replies you can upload right from the toolbar in the reply box. Works much better for all reading the thread. Good luck getting her kick started.

Sorry for doubles I am on my phone, navigation is not the best
We have 240 3 phase here in a few ur shop and I can get the machine to power on but the PC will not interlock ND stay on. Previous owner has rewired some things and I would like to confirm that the transformers are wired properly for 230v

IMG_20181127_211016.jpgIMG_20181127_232718.jpgIMG_20181127_232736.jpgIMG_20181127_232804.jpgIMG_20181127_235844.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for doubles I am on my phone, navigation is not the best
We have 240 3 phase here in a few ur shop and I can get the machine to power on but the PC will not interlock ND stay on. Previous owner has rewired some things and I would like to confirm that the transformers are wired properly for 230v
You need to measure the field voltage to the spindle motor If that is missing you will not get any thing to stay on. You will only get the voltage with the button pushed.

You need to measure the field voltage to the spindle motor If that is missing you will not get any thing to stay on. You will only get the voltage with the button pushed.

I checked voltage and it measures 0.0 VDC across f-2(+),18(-) control on depressed
I checked voltage from s1(-), 51(+) also 0.0 Vdc control on depressed
the control light comes on green and then turns off shortly after
the left thyratron (c16j) is cold
the right c16j tube is heating properly as well as the smaller tube

The transformer taps on the large transformer are a good place to start.

Steve[/QUOTE]
you are talking about the large transformer under the bed behind the read access panel

I checked voltage and it measures 0.0 VDC across f-2(+),18(-) control on depressed
I checked voltage from s1(-), 51(+) also 0.0 Vdc control on depressed
the control light comes on green and then turns off shortly after
the left thyratron (c16j) is cold
the right c16j tube is heating properly as well as the smaller tube
Without field voltage the on relay will not hold your trouble shooting is with the smaller tube as that is the one that supply's the field voltage providing you have it wired for 220VAC. Do you have a Manual for that machine?

Without field voltage the on relay will not hold your trouble shooting is with the smaller tube as that is the one that supply's the field voltage providing you have it wired for 220VAC. Do you have a Manual for that machine?

I do not physically have the manual( I have a pdf one on my phone) and have contacted monarch directly and have accurate wiring schematics

I do not physically have the manual( I have a pdf one on my phone) and have contacted monarch directly and have accurate wiring schematics
A PDF is quite good for troubleshooting the electrical The first thing to confirm is it wired for 220 you can measure the voltage on the filaments of one of the tubes if they are correct then it is wired correctly

A PDF is quite good for troubleshooting the electrical The first thing to confirm is it wired for 220 you can measure the voltage on the filaments of one of the tubes if they are correct then it is wired correctly

I measured from across all the contacts on the tube that warms up and the smaller tube I got nothing ac or dv for voltage.

measured voltage form L1 to L3 on the termal strip in the photo I got 120 vac
dose this mean that the transformer on the back of the headstock mounted externally is wired incorrectly

lathr1.jpg

I measured from across all the contacts on the tube that warms up and the smaller tube I got nothing ac or dv for voltage.

measured voltage form L1 to L3 on the termal strip in the photo I got 120 vac
dose this mean that the transformer on the back of the headstock mounted externally is wired incorrectly

View attachment 243339
Nope you need 220V AC coming from your power connection to L1 to L3 Sounds like you need to check your power in to the machine. The transformer outside should not be powering the machine at ALL. If You have your power coming in to that little transformer you have the power incorrectly wired in.

You need to check that control transformer to to see what voltage it is also, as it is for I think it is for the relays as they are 120vac. An external transformer to power that machine would require a Lot of strength to pick up.

Nope you need 220V AC coming from your power connection to L1 to L3 Sounds like you need to check your power in to the machine. The transformer outside should not be powering the machine at ALL. If You have your power coming in to that little transformer you have the power incorrectly wired in.
lathr1.jpg
the red leads in the photo came from the little transformer in the back and that is how I recived the machine.
there are two wires in the tube area labled L1 and L3 with wirenuts caping them off, these two wires are connected to nothing in the power contactor area under the bed. are these the wires that should be wired for power to the tube grid?

Back