Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rakort View Post
    Whats the solution if I feel like I need to replace [the pinion]?
    I was working on an older Jet lathe recently and the teeth on the carriage pinion gear were badly worn. I was able to find a compatible metric spur gear of the same module pitch and a slightly wider face on amazon.com made by KHK. I removed the pinion from the shaft and bored the replacement gear to match with a light press fit and installed a spring pin to secure it in place and then faced the pinion to the original length.

I also had to do some touch up work with a file on the rack as some of the teeth were slightly damaged but now it is back together and working fine.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Don Kinzer View Post
    I was working on an older Jet lathe recently and the teeth on the carriage pinion gear were badly worn. I was able to find a compatible metric spur gear of the same module pitch and a slightly wider face on amazon.com made by KHK. I removed the pinion from the shaft and bored the replacement gear to match with a light press fit and installed a spring pin to secure it in place and then faced the pinion to the original length.

I also had to do some touch up work with a file on the rack as some of the teeth were slightly damaged but now it is back together and working fine.
    Turns out after I pulled the apron apart and cleaned the pinion gear the teeth weren't as worn as I first suspected. The tip of the teeth on this pinion are pretty narrow to start with.

Your repair is about what I was thinking about would work here on the 10EE if needed.

BTW, anyone ever try rushgears.com for gears?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Turns out after I pulled the apron apart and cleaned the pinion gear the teeth weren't as worn as I first suspected. The tip of the teeth on this pinion are pretty narrow to start with.
    The only two 10EE I have experience with are the 1942 and 1944 "Round Dials" under my own roof, but... IF we are even discussign the SAME pinion - the shaft bearing that positions that pinion is badly worn on both. Fix that- 'coz you should do, anyway - pinion may be in good-enough shape.

It mates to ... a pair of identical 10" racks pinned to the underside of the ledge on the bed (three on the rare 30" 10EE). Dig PM, you may find a prior Pilgrim swapped the two to put the less-worn areas into the most-used zone.

Or I may just have a "wetware" memory error. Cheap enough to ascertain which, either way..

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

a project for sure

img_20180328_230719358.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

a project for sure

Any sunny day you start thinking that ever-so-straightforward Mike Foxtrot is some kind of "complicated"?

Just go and download the manual for a Cazeneuve HBX-360-BC. Look at the "B" option, inch/metric all-singing, all-dancing "special apron" carriage.

Find multiple layers of exponential weirdness. Even by French standards.

Prayers for me appreciated, of course. I may not get into church much, but I ain't exactly foolhardy, neither!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    IF we are even discussign the SAME pinion - the shaft bearing that positions that pinion is badly worn on both. Fix that- 'coz you should do, anyway - pinion may be in good-enough shape.
    I'm sure we are, after all it is likely the most abused gear in the whole lot. So far so good with mine, thorough clean up and some new bearings I'm sure this thing will out live me!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Some more apron tear down and cleanup pixs....its all been seen too many times, but wth, it's my turn.

img_20180328_204539941.jpg

img_20180328_220744645.jpg

img_20180328_230457233.jpg

img_20180328_230659773.jpg

8. Likes Cal Haines liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

img_20180328_231119909.jpg

img_20180329_224048084.jpg

img_20180329_224107670.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=thermite;3150528]

Find multiple layers of exponential weirdness. Even by French standards.

/QUOTE]

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Going through the clutches....cleanup, polishing shafts and cams, media blasted the housings, etc

img_20180331_004727737.jpg

Interesting I found two of these spacers in the stack up for the cross feed.....explains why one stack up had little spring preload and the other had a lot!....oops

img_20180331_004740308.jpg

img_20180331_004735392.jpg

img_20180331_010955273.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Interesting stamp on the front of the apron....but not sure what it means?

It reads:

USN PROP
    NORD-F-1090
    IH A4-27-8

I get the last line, sort of....this lathe was originally sold to International Harvester

So what is up with USN PROP and NORD-F-1090??

img_20180331_192454905.jpg

More cleanup and paint prep....

img_20180331_235144811.jpg

img_20180331_192307822.jpg

img_20180331_192246415.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Louisiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It doesn't have to be the original apron

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by labeeman View Post
    It doesn't have to be the original apron

Indeed that I was considering as well. Is the apron height the primary thing that would have been hand/custom fit between different lathes?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Louisiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Indeed that I was considering as well. Is the apron height the primary thing that would have been hand/custom fit between different lathes?
    I do not know if any custom fitting is involved in that area. I have a Square dial machine that was fitted with a round dial cross slide and apron ( not by me) s guess that was done by the Navy as it is a Navy machine and the compound has a Navy stamp.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

10EE did GET rather a lot of "custom" fit-out. See taper-pin positioning, etc.

That height, OTOH, was "standard enough" new ones would have been interchangeable or near-as-dammit.

After 1/2 to 3/4 of a century of wear? New game.

Restoring it to a height that doesn't drag on leadscrew, surfacing feed shafts, etc. will, of course have a "custom" element. WhatEVER Monarch did, or did not as-at ship-date, ex Sidney, Ohio, has surely been overtaken by events!

17. Likes rakort liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I really don't think that the apron height would have been messed with between lathes - the height had to match the bottom of the saddle for the cross feed gear driving the cross slide to mesh properly. In addition there's the carriage lead screw and drive rod as well as the pinion that has to mesh with the rack on the bed.

When I was rebuilding my 10EE I used the distance from the top of the apron to the carriage leadscrew as my true position - i.e. I set the bottom of the saddle that mated with the top of the apron to the height appropriate to match the halfnuts on the apron to the carriage lead screw. The dimension was a 'clean' one in the imperial system - something like 3 1/2" exactly.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Interesting stamp on the front of the apron....but not sure what it means?

It reads:

USN PROP
    NORD-F-1090
    IH A4-27-8

I get the last line, sort of....this lathe was originally sold to International Harvester

So what is up with USN PROP and NORD-F-1090??
    "Back in the day", many successive defense contractors came and went by whomever won with that cycle's lowest bid. Often same building, same US Gummint-owned machine tools, and even the same STAFF, changing employment from one successive bidder to another, doing the same job 'coz the new bidder didn't otherwise HAVE any staff when they submitted a bid. We became sort of gypsies, if not also hoors, as retirement plans didn't sit well with this sort of lowest-bidder merry-go-round.

BTDTGTTS, "Beltway bandit" metro DC, late 1960's. Our firm had as many as seven versions of one-page bios on folks who had agreed to come aboard IF we won a bid. I wrote those, slanting each one-pager to a different subset of each key person's broader capability to suit the needs of WINNING a given bid. The old saw was "don't confuse GETTING the job with DOING the job".

NORD is perhaps "Naval Ordnance". USN loved abbreviations, such as "BUWEPS" for Bureau of Weapons, etc.

"F" may be a "Facility" code somewhere within one of many shore bases, leased as well as owned, so they can be ANYWHERE, not necessarily near navigable water, "blue" or otherwise.

"IH A4-27-8" the contractor and project code.

Ancient history by this late date, so Willie Nelson and "Nothing I can do about it now" applies, of course!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    "Back in the day", many successive defense contractors came and went by whomever won with that cycle's lowest bid. Often same building, same US Gummint-owned machine tools, and even the same STAFF, changing employment from one successive bidder to another, doing the same job 'coz the new bidder didn't otherwise HAVE any staff when they submitted a bid. We became sort of gypsies, if not also hoors, as retirement plans didn't sit well with this sort of lowest-bidder merry-go-round.

BTDTGTTS, "Beltway bandit" metro DC, late 1960's. Our firm had as many as seven versions of one-page bios on folks who had agreed to come aboard IF we won a bid. I wrote those, slanting each one-pager to a different subset of each key person's broader capability to suit the needs of WINNING a given bid. The old saw was "don't confuse GETTING the job with DOING the job".

NORD is perhaps "Naval Ordnance". USN loved abbreviations, such as "BUWEPS" for Bureau of Weapons, etc.

"F" may be a "Facility" code somewhere within one of many shore bases, leased as well as owned, so they can be ANYWHERE, not necessarily near navigable water, "blue" or otherwise.

"IH A4-27-8" the contractor and project code.

Ancient history by this late date, so Willie Nelson and "Nothing I can do about it now" applies, of course!
    Good history lesson! Thanks for the insight.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Good history lesson! Thanks for the insight.
    NB: My PM-PM box is USUALLY full, and the server has more important work to do anyway.

Try the email option, we can reduce its load. Shout here if I do not respond same way.

22. Likes rakort liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default RD APron Lubrication Questions

So couple of RD apron lube questions as I reassemble this thing.

So two points...

#1 I haven't seen any discussion on what appears to be a metering screw for allowing excess lube to drain away from the small reservoir on top of the apron. The screw pinches down on the port between the reservoir and the inside of the apron (green circle)

#2 the lube tube shown in the picture....as found it simply dumps inside of the apron. I'm assuming this tube should be dumping into hole in the top of the friction stem / feed clutch....sound about right? (red circles)

img_20180413_230714324.jpg

img_20180413_230723504.jpg

img_20180401_165018474.jpg

img_20180401_165025084.jpg

img_20180401_165127210.jpg

Brian