What's new
What's new

new to me monarch

idacal

Hot Rolled
I just picked this lathe up and am curious if there is a way to track some of its history and what model it is off of the serial. now to get it unloaded and in place, Here is some pictures looks to be in good shape but I haven't ran it yet. with the tail stock off it weighed in at 8800 lbs came with a 3 and a 4 jaw chuck 2 center rests and a face plate. also had some basic tooling with it

Attachments

• IMG_2296.jpg
    IMG_2296.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_2293.jpg
    IMG_2293.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 172
Nice!! That is a beast for sure. Yep on the history, Monarch will get you a manual along with original specs it was shipped with by serial number.

Serial numbers get assigned at the time of order, not build. It was probably ordered in 1951 but for some reason delayed until 1953. We see that all the time with 10EEs, especially during WWII.

Cal

Serial numbers get assigned at the time of order, not build. It was probably ordered in 1951 but for some reason delayed until 1953. We see that all the time with 10EEs, especially during WWII.

Cal

Pure speculation but... The order would have been during the Korean War, and the delivery date was *after* the July '53 armistice. I know the conflict had a significant impact on tool production in the US. However I don't know how much it may have impacted industries that were not involved in war production (purchase restrictions etc). Would be interesting to know who the original owner was.

Back