What's new
What's new

New (to me) round dial paint question

meddleshop

Plastic
I picked up a round dial 10EE this summer (made 12/1942) it's in reasonably good condition for it's age, I have the drive working really well thanks to all the info available here. I haven't proved the carriage oiling system yet, but I'm getting there. My question is about paint, my machine didn't have the castings filled, maybe "war finish"? The surfaces were all textured with sort of an orange peel or splatter finish, anyway I like this look and I'm wondering if anyone knows how to duplicate this look with some sort of durable material (not wall texture). Thanks for any infoIMG_3041.jpg

A technique I have used in the past for house work to get that finish is to add Silica Sand to the paint. I have never tried using this in acrylic or enamel paints but might be fun to do some test trials. I think I picked up a 50lb bag at a Menards or Home Depot for under $10. Not sure if it will be durable or not but worth a shot to try.

P.S. it's always a good idea to have at least a simple respirator when dealing with Silica sand.

Also, at work we use quite often Anti Slip paint on our metal floors of buildings we manufacture. Lasts years. Depending on how it's mixed you could get that texture.

I've alway thought a nice smooth finish was easier to clean, but I would look into truck bed coatings if you wan to go that route. Seems they probably have some that have a eggshell type finish but tough as hell. Something I just remembered. Some of the hot rod guys are shooting the underside and suspension parts with PPG DP-40/90 epoxy primer in black, and leaving it as a top coat. They say it is super durable and dries to a nice flat eggshell finish.

Back