What's new
What's new

New Monarch 10EE owner

sdalcher

Plastic
I recently purchased 3 Monarch 10EE lathes. I have admired the beauty of these lathes for years, but never had the opportunity to use one. I was able to buy them for less than scrap price and am looking forward to getting them up and running. The first one is a regular machine, the second is a turret tailstock model and the third is a tracer lathe. I have 2 of the 3 home already, am picking up the third later this week.

The bad news is that the drives systems are gutted out of the two that I already have home. I was lucky enough to pick up two 3 phase 7.5 HP Baldor motors a few days later. I am looking to adapt a VFD to drive the lathes. I do have 3 phase power. The third lathe reportedly has the drive unit complete, but I bought that one sight unseen...(The price was that low). I'm looking forward to reading through the posts in this forum and contributing as well. Here is a link to a quick walkthrough of the two lathes I already have home and my first "fix". Monarch 10 EE Lathe Rebuild Episode 1 - YouTube

Thanks

It was a cheap (dollar store) version of simple green. Worked very well. Cuts through the grease and muck pretty easily. I’ll take a pic of the spray bottle later today when I’m there.

Probably should have cleaned the sump and checked the oil pump while you had the apron off. Also, the oil feed through the half nuts is often blocked and can be cleaned at that point. But... hindsight.

Congrats on your monarch lathes. I also picked up a 10ee turret lathe a few years ago. My lathe is a 1964 Model year classified as a high production unit. I have not had the time to get mine going yet (missing the motor etc.) but looking at yours which looks just like mine I believe your turret should also be able to be powered by hydraulic power. Just letting you know. Thanks

Thank you for that. I wasn’t aware that it had hydraulics, but on closer inspection it certainly looks as though it does. I’m hoping to be able to devote some time in December

Back