What's new
What's new

New to Monarch Lathes

Typenerd

Plastic
00R0R_2G9YMaFEDOV_1200x900.jpg

This one popped up in my Neighborhood, he is selling everything for 7500.
[email protected]

But I can't find a matching Picture for the Lathe to put a date on it.
This one has nothing, absolute bare bones. not hooked up, so no Testing.
And before you ask, I have a Dipl.-Ing (FH Berlin) in mechanical Engineering, I'm comfortable around Tools.
I want to build a small machine shop (Lathe, Vertical mill) to augment my Comapny.

Ludwig

If by "everything" you mean the 10EE and tooling I'd say that it's very much overpriced. That's a manufacturing model and is incapable of single point threading. It doesn't appear to have a compound and that's going to restrict a lot of operations. There's a power feed bed turret but I don't see any tooling on it. Fwd/reverse is gone and I can't see any speed control.

I wouldn't buy it as a first lathe, and likely wouldn't pay more than $1K-$1.5K (higher end only for more tooling) as I can see it. If you can't crank it up divide those prices in half.

Than I said everything, I meant everything in the shop, hence I provided Link.

I can wait for another one, I don't intend to be a general Machinist, my intend is to have a small space Lathe and eventually a small vertical as I can make pretty much everything between the two.
stamp engraving.jpg
I have a Alexander 3a Pantomill on the Floor with a Roll Atachment, ditto a Gorton 3U, but that machine is only for light work, on the Alex I cut Brass 260flat and 3d, used to have access to a Atlas Lathe in a Friends shop, I would face and clean round stock, deadbore and cutt off, on the alex I would place a domed face on one side of the disk, as you need as much metal you can have to hold heat. I male Film and Polymerplate, that gives me a sunk pattern in 10 x enlargement and I cut flat stock, Letters and patterns, I cut in the Round for Rolls and I cut stamps and curved pallets. All this are used in Fine Binding to apply a pattern in Gold leaf on a Leather Binding.My Buddy closed his shop and I don't need a 15 foot Lathe. I pulled quotes from machine shops in Socal CA, cheapest quote I got for making a disk of round stock Brass 260 was 145.00 each.
Hence., with my Background and more than 2 decades in Mech. Egineering working worldwide, I decided to tool up for my own shop.

Attachments

• stamp engraving.jpg
    stamp engraving.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 30
Thanks Thermite,

I like chucks, as the largest DIA is 4 inch. I'm in no rush, I aged out of my Engineering job and I always had a shop to ply my other Trades, as Engineering was at most a week or 10 days at some remote location fixing emergencies. Really well paid. I have a Tool Room, not just a Tool Box, Stahlwille, I tend always to go for the best Tool I can get. I bought a Building of my own, fixed it up and we had this Covid Mess. I can weather it just fine, I'm rebuilding machinery right now, as I had a Lease and the Building was within the Marijuana Overlay Zone in CA, tripled my Lease and cash on top. Found a Building I can swing and took it down bare walls, just not worth trying to fix it, rebuild thus. HAd my entire shop in Storage, now removing surface rust, paint etc.

I'd listen to the gents on this forum, and stay away from that machine. I saw the listing in Long Beach, he has a large collection of rusted machines that will take you years to get back online and probably cost a fortune.

A good 10ee will run you 5-10K, depending on tooling and condition. If you really need a turret lathe buy a Hardinge, they are proven and plentiful.

Back