Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default New (old) monarch lathe

bc324ce6-92fc-4fc7-a100-4a8e8546bc2b.jpgb4bb893d-d159-421b-ab04-6ec0a04e2804.jpgI recently got my first lathe and need help identifying the year and model the bed is around 60” of workspace and was just wondering if anybody has any information on what it could be or old brochures of it. These are the only photos I have it.
    Last edited by valyrianSteel; 07-24-2021 at 04:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quite a list here - see if anything matches up

Monarch Machine Tool Co. - Publication Reprints | VintageMachinery.org

have fun

Model A and on up here

http://pounceatron.dreamhosters.com/...e-brochure.pdf

ph

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sorry about the lack of photos I can’t upload them at the time but it’s a 16 speed and it’s from the 1930s not sure which year exactly or model but it only has one vent cover in front of the electric motor and most of the ones I see have 2 vents, but thank you for the help

Post Thanks / Like

One of several how-to threads on posting photos

Posting Pictures on the South Bend Forum

have fun

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by valyrianSteel View Post
    Sorry about the lack of photos I can’t upload them at the time but it’s a 16 speed and it’s from the 1930s not sure which year exactly or model but it only has one vent cover in front of the electric motor and most of the ones I see have 2 vents, but thank you for the help

Here are some giveaways circa November 1930 - one vent cover, non articulated speed change levers - though the 20" may be larger than yours - it is definitely representative of those days. Note also clutch lever up high on head stock

All these will have threaded spindle noses (or their proprietary flanged nose) and only a few years older will have plain (Bronze or Babbitt style) spindle bearings with lift off covers

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/2103/20812.pdf

have fun

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

54cf8263-8a0f-4a32-968f-51bfda5db527.jpg
    The one difference I have seen with the lathe is the lever to the left of the tpi tag isn’t there. but there is a lever above the tag which makes me wonder if it’s a different model or different year but everything else is similar and it might be a 20” it doesn’t seem a lot shorter but idk what the shorter option was. And the reason for not being able to post pictures is Uve been at the hospital for a month and been using my phone to do everything and the website isn’t super mobile friendly

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The pics are microscopic, relatively. Not complaining, just my honest feedback. It would appear to me to be one of the CK family.

Eventually you are going to need the serial number to find more info. I believe on those machines its stamped into the tailstock end of the bedway between the vee and flat ways. That's assuming the typical serial plate has been damaged or removed.

A very good choice is to call up Monarch Sidney (find info by google) and pay the $75 for a manual set specific to your serial number.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you I didn’t know they would do that and will be looking into once I get back home and sadly the website isn’t very mobile friendly for posting images.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by valyrianSteel View Post
    Thank you I didn’t know they would do that and will be looking into once I get back home and sadly the website isn’t very mobile friendly for posting images.
    Contact Us | Monarch Lathes

Or call and ask for Terri.

What she doesn't know about Monarchs... is in her collection of files.. the most extensive on Planet Earth.

Y'see.. all Monarchs were built to a firm order. Not to go sit in a showroom in HOPES somebody MIGHT want one...like a set of earbuds or undershorts..

So a contract order file and serial number was established for each customer at time of order. The files will have a record of what options or special features were ordered, (if any), what workholding or accessories went out the door with it.. and to whom first shipped.

Your "manual", then, will have at least PARTIAL customization. Then you.. and they.. will also know what parts fit THAT lathe.

By individual serial number.

Can't beat that with a stick!