What's new
What's new

New (old) monarch lathe

valyrianSteel

Plastic
BC324CE6-92FC-4FC7-A100-4A8E8546BC2B.jpgB4BB893D-D159-421B-AB04-6EC0A04E2804.jpgI recently got my first lathe and need help identifying the year and model the bed is around 60” of workspace and was just wondering if anybody has any information on what it could be or old brochures of it. These are the only photos I have it.

Last edited:
Sorry about the lack of photos I can’t upload them at the time but it’s a 16 speed and it’s from the 1930s not sure which year exactly or model but it only has one vent cover in front of the electric motor and most of the ones I see have 2 vents, but thank you for the help

Sorry about the lack of photos I can’t upload them at the time but it’s a 16 speed and it’s from the 1930s not sure which year exactly or model but it only has one vent cover in front of the electric motor and most of the ones I see have 2 vents, but thank you for the help

Here are some giveaways circa November 1930 - one vent cover, non articulated speed change levers - though the 20" may be larger than yours - it is definitely representative of those days. Note also clutch lever up high on head stock

All these will have threaded spindle noses (or their proprietary flanged nose) and only a few years older will have plain (Bronze or Babbitt style) spindle bearings with lift off covers

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/2103/20812.pdf

have fun

54CF8263-8A0F-4A32-968F-51BFDA5DB527.jpg
The one difference I have seen with the lathe is the lever to the left of the tpi tag isn’t there. but there is a lever above the tag which makes me wonder if it’s a different model or different year but everything else is similar and it might be a 20” it doesn’t seem a lot shorter but idk what the shorter option was. And the reason for not being able to post pictures is Uve been at the hospital for a month and been using my phone to do everything and the website isn’t super mobile friendly

The pics are microscopic, relatively. Not complaining, just my honest feedback. It would appear to me to be one of the CK family.

Eventually you are going to need the serial number to find more info. I believe on those machines its stamped into the tailstock end of the bedway between the vee and flat ways. That's assuming the typical serial plate has been damaged or removed.

A very good choice is to call up Monarch Sidney (find info by google) and pay the $75 for a manual set specific to your serial number.

Thank you I didn’t know they would do that and will be looking into once I get back home and sadly the website isn’t very mobile friendly for posting images.

Back