What's new
What's new

New Parker drive installation completed!

donhansen

Plastic
My brother was spent a week here installing a Parker drive system in my 10EE WIAD machine. He had done all the design work at home and assembled the majority of the components at home. Before going any further I would caution you to think this was an "easy" process. My brother has a machinist back round, a great deal of schooling, and 40 plus years experience working as an engineer with drive systems including being a partner in a business that designed and installed many varied drive systems. This project would have been way beyond my abilities. Although, I was responsible to wire and mount the work light. I also got to do a lot of "fetching, carrying, and light holding." What follows is what he wrote as I thought others would be interested in the conversion. Thanks, Don Hansen. Take it away Rich!

Finally rebuilt the Monarch 10EE Drive Controls. Not as easy as one might be led to believe, but a doable project with the right knowledge.

Removed the old electrical equipment in the main panel (Original Elec Cabinet), Tube Tray (Cabinet Photo Closeup Tubes) and the Operator Station (Existing Op Panel). Had to grind / cut out the tube shelf which we were not expecting. A bit of a mechanical challenge. Once cleaned out, we were ready to install the new panel (Empty Elec Cab). While the design was being done, we had the DC Motor completely overhauled.

The new panel was designed and built prior to the retrofit. The panel was designed to fit into the existing electrical enclosure. The main transformer, T5 was reused to provide 300 VAC to the Armature Voltage DC Drive. As per previous posts, we used two Parker Drives, the 514C-32 for the Armature Voltage and the 507 for the Field Voltage.

A small Allen Bradley, Micro830 Controller was used as the control circuit needed 10 or more control relays. (Too much wiring to do it that way!!)

The new Operator Panel (Operator Panel) and Electrical Panel (Complete Panel Retrofit) were installed. Some of the old wiring was reused, primarily, wire from Transformer T5, Armature and Field motor windings.

Here’s some features that we ended up with.
• Speed control via one Potentiometer, much like the original build.
• When shifting the carriage spindle switch quickly from Forward to Reverse, the spindle slows to zero, then reverses into the same speed as previously set, but in the opposite direction.
• A red Fault Light glows steady if there is a drive fault. It flashes if the operator tries something that’s not allowed (starting drive while carriage switch is in Forward/Reverse, Drive not Enabled When Start is pressed, Spindle Lock Engaged when trying to start drive).
• The carriage switch puts the spindle in Forward / Neutral / Reverse just as in the original machine control. Whatever speed is set on the Potentiometer is what speed the spindle rotates at, in Forward or Reverse.
• A circuit detects when the carriage switch is moved from Forward/Reverse to Neutral. This circuit allows the spindle to come to a stop being dynamically braked by the Armature Voltage drive. (The armature voltage speed reference is forced to zero to quickly brake the spindle).
• If the machine sits idle for a few minutes, the Enable light turns off, indicating that drive power has been turned off, allowing the Field Voltage to not sit on the Field during periods of non-use.
• If the Emergency Stop button is pressed, the Main Contactor drops out, allowing safe machine adjustments. The Emergency Stop button lights steady read for several minutes, then goes out if the machine is not restarted.

Any comments are welcome. We have the schematics and program available for this build if anyone is interested. As with all projects, there are quite a few changes that we would make to realize an easier build. Live and learn.

Attachments

• control panel.jpg
    control panel.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 164
  • operator panel.jpg
    operator panel.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 157
My brother was spent a week here installing a Parker drive system in my 10EE WIAD machine. He had done all the design work at home and assembled the majority of the components at home. Before going any further I would caution you to think this was an "easy" process. My brother has a machinist back round, a great deal of schooling, and 40 plus years experience working as an engineer with drive systems including being a partner in a business that designed and installed many varied drive systems. This project would have been way beyond my abilities. Although, I was responsible to wire and mount the work light. I also got to do a lot of "fetching, carrying, and light holding." What follows is what he wrote as I thought others would be interested in the conversion. Thanks, Don Hansen. Take it away Rich!

Finally rebuilt the Monarch 10EE Drive Controls. Not as easy as one might be led to believe, but a doable project with the right knowledge.

Removed the old electrical equipment in the main panel (Original Elec Cabinet), Tube Tray (Cabinet Photo Closeup Tubes) and the Operator Station (Existing Op Panel). Had to grind / cut out the tube shelf which we were not expecting. A bit of a mechanical challenge. Once cleaned out, we were ready to install the new panel (Empty Elec Cab). While the design was being done, we had the DC Motor completely overhauled.

The new panel was designed and built prior to the retrofit. The panel was designed to fit into the existing electrical enclosure. The main transformer, T5 was reused to provide 300 VAC to the Armature Voltage DC Drive. As per previous posts, we used two Parker Drives, the 514C-32 for the Armature Voltage and the 507 for the Field Voltage.

A small Allen Bradley, Micro830 Controller was used as the control circuit needed 10 or more control relays. (Too much wiring to do it that way!!)

The new Operator Panel (Operator Panel) and Electrical Panel (Complete Panel Retrofit) were installed. Some of the old wiring was reused, primarily, wire from Transformer T5, Armature and Field motor windings.

Here’s some features that we ended up with.
• Speed control via one Potentiometer, much like the original build.
• When shifting the carriage spindle switch quickly from Forward to Reverse, the spindle slows to zero, then reverses into the same speed as previously set, but in the opposite direction.
• A red Fault Light glows steady if there is a drive fault. It flashes if the operator tries something that’s not allowed (starting drive while carriage switch is in Forward/Reverse, Drive not Enabled When Start is pressed, Spindle Lock Engaged when trying to start drive).
• The carriage switch puts the spindle in Forward / Neutral / Reverse just as in the original machine control. Whatever speed is set on the Potentiometer is what speed the spindle rotates at, in Forward or Reverse.
• A circuit detects when the carriage switch is moved from Forward/Reverse to Neutral. This circuit allows the spindle to come to a stop being dynamically braked by the Armature Voltage drive. (The armature voltage speed reference is forced to zero to quickly brake the spindle).
• If the machine sits idle for a few minutes, the Enable light turns off, indicating that drive power has been turned off, allowing the Field Voltage to not sit on the Field during periods of non-use.
• If the Emergency Stop button is pressed, the Main Contactor drops out, allowing safe machine adjustments. The Emergency Stop button lights steady read for several minutes, then goes out if the machine is not restarted.

Any comments are welcome. We have the schematics and program available for this build if anyone is interested. As with all projects, there are quite a few changes that we would make to realize an easier build. Live and learn.

Good news! Not that many seen yet with the 32 Amp 514-C

I do THINK I have an "easier build" though. I don't use ANY relays. Not even the one already on the SSD's PCB. Not sure where I could even connect a relay to an SSD, or what for?

Equally puzzled what a microcontroller would add that was not already "presented" on either or both SSD's terminal strips? The "long" one, especially. More than just test points there.

The two SSD's are signal-level compatible, so everything is already on the terminal strip for cross-control and use of health or alarm states from one to control the other - just needs a bit of wire.

Besides the disconnect, all I needed was:

RUN toggle

ENABLE toggle

E-Stop NC push mushroom.

All are directly wired to the SSD's terminals.

Two pots because I actually WANT independent tuning of torque as well as RPM.
-- but that's no real difference. I've been experimenting with syncing by use of long,. medium, shorter slide pots for one knob does all. I just don't like giving up the "custom tailoring" of the power curve on-the-fly capability for a fixed relationship.

And a disconnect, of course. But that would apply to any drive system, OEM, VFD, or SSD.

On-Edit:

I think I see why it is so different and has all those external parts. It looks as if all the functionality wanted, or that was to be preserved, was first planned-out, independently, then provided for in your custom build "in full".

The SSD's were then "plugged into" that complete and fully-featured control system as "dumb components", their own rather larger set of hybrid analog and digital logic capabilities bypassed rather than utilized for the much smaller subset wanted.

A "SWAG" only, but it seems to fit the photos and all those external parts.

Last edited:
Hi Don,

Congrats on the new build! I would love to see the schematic as well as the program. Did you use RS Connected Workbench Design & Config for the development or RSLogix 500 (.rss)? I can send my email in a private message if that would work best.

Thanks

Last edited:
As life always allows, there's more than one way to accomplish a task!!

My brother's goal is to use his Monarch to make chips and make high end guns for his customers. He's not so much into fine tuning and playing with the controls. The solution he and I agreed to was a "turn it on and I'm cutting steel".

Thanks for your feedback. The Monarch is an absolutely a Beautiful machine. My congrats to all of you who are privileged to have one, no matter what state your's is in.

This is Don's brother Rich. Yes RS connected Workbench Design and Config ~ the free version. Not a lot to the program but I'll certainly share. Send me your email address and I'll send it over. Also, the schematics are a bit much, but I'll send you what I have.

As life always allows, there's more than one way to accomplish a task!!

My brother's goal is to use his Monarch to make chips and make high end guns for his customers. He's not so much into fine tuning and playing with the controls. The solution he and I agreed to was a "turn it on and I'm cutting steel".
Hear yah. Righteous approach, certainly. But we all get that benefit, regardless.

I have been perhaps overly influenced by the early NASA research that drops calculated MTBF for every component, solder-joint, or connector pin added. IOW complex fails sooner than simple, and the more gross-motion moving or wearing parts,[1] the sooner yet.

Ergo I tried to NOT add anything at all if I could use what was already there to avoid the need to do.

Among other benefits is one that VFD conversions "usually" enjoy.

If a VFD or an SSD should fail, near-as-dammit EVERYTHING will be "all brand new" when a new one is swapped-in because there isn't much of anything outside the "magic box" but a coupla ignorant switches and a pot or two.

At their price, we do not get "into" troubleshooting the insides of either a VFD or an SSD.
We just swap those out. Even if we DO know how to do board-level repairs.

My luck as it is, if I had even two "ice cube" high-reliability MIL-SPEC relays? It would be MY parts as failed and had me chasing my own tail, not the parts the guys at Shackleton Systems devel had vetted so well around 20 years ago and continuously since.

These drives have been an anvil-reliable frozen design for quite an age already as electron wrestling goods go - the heavier grade 3-P-only siblings and grand children long since moved to the same sort of all-digital controls and logic as VFD use.

2CW

Whatever gets the job done is what gets a job and keeps the job, so...

"Good on yah!"

:)

[1] Arthur C. Clarke "Diaspar" AKA "The City and the Stars", 1957. "No machine may have any moving parts" .. "with greater mass than an outer-valence electron hole." (added, W.B. Hacker, 1970)

Here are some additional pictures.
230151d1528262536-additional-pictures-parker-drive-retrofit-original-operating-panel.jpg

230152d1528262536-additional-pictures-parker-drive-retrofit-original-electrical-cabinet.jpg

230153d1528262536-additional-pictures-parker-drive-retrofit-new-electrical-panel-operator-station.jpg

Don,

Please do not start multiple threads for the same topic. Post additional photos in the same thread. Thanks!

Cal

Back