What's new
What's new

Power supply for a MD 10ee

DouglasThayer

Aluminum
I have a newly aquired modular drive 10ee that has NO collant pump, so I am going to feed it with 220 single phase power. (I run a RPC for three phase power to my other machines) My question is how to determine which two of the three leads to hook up. The disconect box at the rear is gone, and all I have is three red lines and one green coming out of the back into a small junction box. There are no markings as to L1, L2 or L3.

If you open the DC panel you'll find the contactors and such, and labeled wires. With a meter you can trace L1 and L3 to the incoming leads.

Expanding on this - look for the main contactor, it should be in the upper left. When energized it provides L1 and L3 to the rest of the drive. Its inputs are the leads you want to trace back to those on the back of the lathe.

[ 11-02-2007, 01:29 PM: Message edited by: rke[pler ]

The Modular has the disconnect built into the drive, on the front lower panel.

L1, L2 and L3 come in, and are distributed to the remainder of the machine, including the coolant pump's magnetic motor starter.

If the machine was not manufactured with a coolant pump, it is likely that there is no starter for one, and one will need to be added. Probably a Size 00.

B&S Pump no longer makes the pump, but these are occasionally available from the "usual suspects".

At least the B&S pump can use a NEMA 56C motor, and single-phase is a possibility, if the motor's starting capacitor is relocated elsewhere.

The housing is too tight to accommodate that bump on the motor.

1/3 HP on my '45 and '56.

Back