What's new
What's new

Newall DRO install on 10EE

bb218

Aluminum
Just finished installing a set of Newall 700 DRO's on my 10EE. Wanted to do some things different that others I had seen, I ordered the DRO's with the " Hardinge / Monarch install kit. One change I made was to make a angle shaped cross feed bracket for the cross slide, I used 1.5" square alum by around 15", same length at the supplied angle for the cross slide. I milled the square stock into an angle leaving 0.5" thick on the ends, wall thickness was around 3/16, I then mounted the thin angle iron piece that came with the Kit to fully enclose the reader head and the scale. This is also my mounting bracket for the scale rod, after installing the reader head I measured from top of carriage to center of scale rod and from face of cross slide to center of scale rod and drilled the ends at these locations, one is large enough to allow the rod to slide through into the reader and then the end mounted with a screw to hold the scale.
One other mod was to enclose the cables inside a piece of 3/4 x 1/2 " alum channel.

Attachments

• Monarch 1.jpg
    Monarch 1.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 202
  • Monarch 2.jpg
    Monarch 2.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 190
  • Monarch 3.jpg
    Monarch 3.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 190
  • Monarch 4.jpg
    Monarch 4.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 191
  • Monarch 5.jpg
    Monarch 5.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 183
Very nice much neater than mine. Only suggestion would be to have used a Microsyn scale on cross slide. Also I mounted scale on headstock side.
Bob

Why is that better than the tailstock side?

It isn't necessarily, but you can run the carriage closer to the tailstock. It's also less sensitive to errors in cross slide motion (straightness, pitch/yaw, etc) and alignment of the scale to cross slide: Abbe error - Wikipedia

It's also in a dirtier environment and easier to damage with the chuck and workpiece (reasons why I expect most put the scales on the TS and backside of bed). You get to decide which factors are more important to you. I mounted the scales on my Rivett on the front of the bed behind the leadscrew for Z and on the headstock side of X for Abbe reasons.

Very nice much neater than mine. Only suggestion would be to have used a Microsyn scale on cross slide. Also I mounted scale on headstock side.
Bob

My scale is around .229" diameter and only supported on 1 end. What is the advantage with the Microsyn ?

Please fix your photos, they are all 90 degrees off.

Here are some photos that show how I mounted my Newall scales on the 1940 round dial and the 1949 square dial. I thought it would make a useful comparison. The cross slide scales are Microsyn and the bed scales are Spherosyn. I didn't use a specific length for the bed scale, I had some Spherosyn scales from another machine and used two that worked. I prefer putting the cross slide scale on the tailstock side because it is too easy to damage scales on the other side and they get in the way (some setups require working close to the spindle, like when you are trying to machine the back side of a flywheel).

IMG_0451.jpg

IMG_0453.jpg

IMG_0470.jpg

IMG_0474.jpg

IMG_1458.jpg

Last edited:
Nice installs (both) nice and neat.
Like the channel to carry the cables on the back side of the bed.

small size of the scales are a real plus for the Newall systemsd...
Really wish that they make a readout box that had real keys.....(aka Heidenhain)
I absolutely hate those membrane key pads....
Cheers Ross

Nice clean installs on even nicer machines ! Mine isn't anywhere near that nice/clean but it works a treat !

do you mind giving an approx $$ of the Newall system with the monarch mounts ? I've been contemplating one for mine and the cheapo glass scale imports are just way too cost efficient to not strongly consider. I'm not doing

I'm a cheapskate when doing a project like this, scrounging parts and watching ebay for deals. So my cost of each install was around $5-600. i.e. DP700 on the 59 was $250 for the control, $150 for new Microsyn scale and read head and $100 for used Spherosyn scale and read head. The 1940 used a C80 control. The Spherosyn scales I used were 36" and 34" OAL, but shorter would work. You can keep the cost of the scales down if you do some careful measuring (i.e. the scales in the Hardinge/Monarch kit are not necessarily the best size scales to use for the task). Also Microsyn and Spherosyn scales can be shortened if you can find a cheap one that is too long. And the Microsyn scale for the cross slide only needs a single mount so you can get by with a shorter scale. I like using the Spherosyn in the rear because there is plenty of room and it is a less fragile setup, so its a bit of peace of mind. In both installs I mounted the control using a 10EE light mount casting with a vertical post threaded for a Newall swivel fitting at the top.

-Dave

Back