What's new
What's new

please help w identity of this monarch, and rough idea of value

ccsc

Plastic
Hi folks, real newbie here. I have a very small older craftsman benchtop lathe, and have been looking for something larger for a while, and now have access to the Monarch shown. It is claimed to run, with no broken gears, and all parts working. A few questions:

can the turret be relatively easily replaced by a regular tool holder?

Is this type Monarch commonly used with a tailstock added, or just as turret type?

what is rough value? It is obviously filthy, but was used by a guy that did really nice work, and died suddenly.

Thanks

ChipIMG_20160529_144536510.jpg

Fairly complete conversion to Turret - like the giant lever to index turret

Since it IS a turret you can expect it has been run hard and put away wet for maybe 75 years minimum

It looks OLD - early thirties maybe

Hard to tell if saddle has a wide bridge for turret

If you want a Monarch engine/tool room lathe you need to pass

If you just have to have it maybe $200

ON EDIT

Here is little of the early helical heads - like the turret started life - scan is from 1930

Thanks to John Legge and Greg Menke

http://pounceatron.dreamhosters.com/docs/monarch/monarch-modelc-setup-bulletin-127-1930.pdf

Hi folks, real newbie here. I have a very small older craftsman benchtop lathe, and have been looking for something larger for a while, and now have access to the Monarch shown. It is claimed to run, with no broken gears, and all parts working. A few questions:

Is this type Monarch commonly used with a tailstock added, or just as turret type?

what is rough value? It is obviously filthy, but was used by a guy that did really nice work, and died suddenly.

Thanks

ChipView attachment 172560

Thanks

ChipView attachment 172560

Large, heavy, short on the long-axis goods aside, no easy way to turn 'tween centers work even IF you hatched a tailstock from the egg? And you would have to do. What would YOU expect DO with it?

No longer competitive at making hoop earrings for Godzilla, or doggie bowls even a Tibetan Mastiff cannot casually pick up and wag under yer nose to beg a refill. The PO may have had a reg'lar order for special couplings, or flanges for significant hydraulics or such. Check the floor just back of or alongside the HS. That doughnought shape is this lathe's bread and butter, and it was outclassed at even that well before WWII.

Do you have such work?

Even so, the only advantage over serious dual-carriage turrets - Warner & Swasey or the like - is that you can probably get the motor up to speed without all the lights in the neighborhood going dark.

"Pass" .... or just punt, I'd not want to be a receiver. Coming off an **aftsman, a Hardinge is your more appropriate step up, turret or no. But so is nearly anything else.

Bill

please help w identity of this monarch

Large, heavy, short on the long-axis goods aside, no easy way to turn 'tween centers work even IF you hatched a tailstock from the egg? And you would have to do. What would YOU expect DO with it?

No longer competitive at making hoop earrings for Godzilla, or doggie bowls even a Tibetan Mastiff cannot casually pick up and wag under yer nose to beg a refill. The PO may have had a reg'lar order for special couplings, or flanges for significant hydraulics or such. Check the floor just back of or alongside the HS. That doughnought shape is this lathe's bread and butter, and it was outclassed at even that well before WWII.

Do you have such work?

Even so, the only advantage over serious dual-carriage turrets - Warner & Swasey or the like - is that you can probably get the motor up to speed without all the lights in the neighborhood going dark.

"Pass" .... or just punt, I'd not want to be a receiver. Coming off an **aftsman, a Hardinge is your more appropriate step up, turret or no. But so is nearly anything else.

Bill

Thx guys - just the sort of info i was looking for, and sort of suspicious i was gonna get.

Back