What's new
What's new

Newbie to the Monarch need some help getting set up.

vespam5

Plastic
Well I'm not technically a newbie, I actually learned how to use a lathe on a Monarch 10EE 15 years ago when I worked at NASA as a technician. The machinists there helped me learn on a lovely government maintained 10EE and I never had to worry about the upkeep or tooling! I always knew it was a wonderful machine and dreamed of having one of my own some day. Well that day is today because I purchased one at auction and just finished fork lifting it into it's new home in my shop. I have a bunch of questions, any input appreciated. Specs:

10x20
TOOL ROOM
12.5 X 20
SERIAL NUMBER 44898
PEC NUMBER 3416-25-11-24
DATE OF MANUFACTURE 6-61
MODEL EE
WEIGHT 3520

The unfortunate part is that it came lacking any tooling at all, so I need to order a couple of chucks, tightening keys, etc etc.

First question, what is the chuck type called? It is a cam lock style obviously but I am not familiar with the lingo. Three jaw is by far what I need the most, any help would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_5329.jpgIMG_5334.jpgIMG_5336.jpgIMG_5335.jpg

Potentially a very good find! Having the ESLR auto cutout of threading is a real plus.
The chuck style is a 3J.

Have fun.

Lee (the saw guy)

Question,

I hooked it up to my 3-phase power, the machine had three wires coming out of it, black, red, blue. Can I assume this is ready for 230 three phase?

Once I hooked it to power I switched the main lockout switch and heard a familiar hum but can't get the machine to spin, any input appreciated.

It looks like it has been retrofitted, nice looking job.

There is more electrical stuff in back of the large door to the left of the main switch.

Post a pix of what is in there. and a good close up of any nameplates on the panels.

The spindle motor is in back of the lower cover at the headstock end. The motor has 2 or 4 sets of brushes, and they should be free in the brush holders and under spring pressure. The commutator should have a brown penny color under the brushes, and no burned areas.

If there are any questions, post some pictures.

Is your 3 phase power from an RPC or the power company?

Bill

The ESLR needs to be in the off position to start the control. The spindle lock needs to be off too.

Forgive my ignorance, what is ESLR?

What is the starting procedure? The machine I used 10 years ago had tubes! I remember having to hold the start button for a few seconds before the machine would start....

elsr= electric lead screw reverse. kinda a misleading name as what it does it shuts off the spindle motor via electric limit switches while threading. It appears you machine might have the rare variable speed reverse circuit.

The spindle is a d1-3 as stated, most tailstocks were morse 2, a few were morse 3
steady rests and follow rests are getting harder to find.

Be aware of chuck rpm ratings, if this is a 4k rpm machine you want a decent steel or semi steel chuck rated for at least the max rpm of the tach.

elsr= electric lead screw reverse. kinda a misleading name as what it does it shuts off the spindle motor via electric limit switches while threading. It appears you machine might have the rare variable speed reverse circuit.

The spindle is a d1-3 as stated, most tailstocks were morse 2, a few were morse 3
steady rests and follow rests are getting harder to find.

Be aware of chuck rpm ratings, if this is a 4k rpm machine you want a decent steel or semi steel chuck rated for at least the max rpm of the tach.

Is the ESLR on/off switch through the rheostat near the control on/off button?

The knob in question is in front of the belt sander belt in this shot, at the end of the bed, at the same height as the way.

Also the lever at the right side of the apron needs to be in the middle position.

Bill

The interlocks are to prevent the spindle from running if unsafe conditions are present.
The spindle locked, or if the controls are in a position that will allow the spindle to run when turning power on.

Do you have the wiring schematic?

Actually the ELSR knob at the end of the lathe should be in the "right hand" position. If it is in neutral, nothing will run. Yes, it looks like the machine was setup originally with the variable speed reverse option. Don't know if still works though. The way it works is that the tach will only read in the forward rotation. So you put the machine in reverse as it is running, press to check button and the machine will change to forward rotation and you can vary and read the speed as you hold the button. Release the button and the machine goes back to reverse rotation, but now at the speed you just set. This is handy for threading as you would thread at a much lower rpm forward, back out..or not , put in reverse at a much faster rpm to go back to your starting point.

Back