What's new
What's new

Newbie question: if this an M-G motor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

focusrsh

Aluminum
I've been working from the top down on a 1942 10EE and today, pulled the coolant pump and the motor. I keep readying all these messages about the various motor types. What is this one? There isn't a tag anywhere on it. (I can see where the tag used to be.)

My plan is to pull it apart and clean/check the bearings.

Am I right in presuming that the front bearing on this motor gets lubricated from oil in the gear reduction box hung off the front?

IMG_6280.jpg
IMG_6277.jpg
IMG_6278.jpg

I've been working from the top down on a 1942 10EE and today, pulled the coolant pump and the motor. I keep readying all these messages about the various motor types. What is this one? There isn't a tag anywhere on it. (I can see where the tag used to be.)

My plan is to pull it apart and clean/check the bearings.

Am I right in presuming that the front bearing on this motor gets lubricated from oil in the gear reduction box hung off the front?

Do pull it apart and check/clean the bearings. I did the same to mine. I pulled off one end bell at a time and never removed my armature. No the front bearing does not get lube from the gearbox.

You can see some pixs on my build thread doing the same.

You should feel good about that motor because like mine it "seems" to have been through a motor shop within the last few decades. It looks quite clean and serviceable.

That's one of the Tyrannosaurus Rex of Dinosaur Current. large-frame "Type T". The legendary Reliance Electric & Engineering turbine-smooth elevator/hoist motor, as adapted to MG-era 10EE. Tag photos are on PM.

Treasure it. It is one.

That is a large frame dc motor for the spindle. 3 HP

OK, that explains the 3H KB motor controller that is on this lathe.
Funny that is has a "Property of US Navy" and serial # tag. Since it isn't original to the 10EE, I'm stumped. Did the Navy retrofit this motor? If so, they also retrofitted the coolant pump, which has an identical tag, one serial number different. I suppose someone bought a pump and motor from Navy surplus, but with sequential serial numbers?

This is like peeling an onion. Or exploring King Tut's tomb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back