What's new
What's new

Newly acquired '42 10ee questions

Cponzi

Plastic
Hey guys, just got in my garage a new-to-me 1942 monarch 10ee set it all up runs good but I got two questions.
1) I dont see any threaded holes to level this machine, it's on poured concrete floor, how critical is level with these machines as they are very massive and dont seem to me like they would "tweak" at all.
2) I'm getting some vibration in the machine, worse at lower spindle rpm, I see I'm missing the v belt tensioners that go into the T slots for 2 belts running from gearbox to spindle, could this be a culprit? I put some old setup wedges under the machine and it seemed to help calm the vibrations down a bit, any other ideas to make this machine more sturdy if I dont have the leveling feet holes. Thanks guys.

Thank you for the input, I will put some new belts on and make my own tensioners I see a lot of pictures of them on this site. Hopefully that will solve the vibrations, it's quite annoying.

The mounts for them are rather simple but bulky chunks of Iron, The rollers are die-cast ZAMAK that some claim is Aluminium. My two are Zamak, so were probably special ordered.

:)

You MiGHT find the fastest way to stop the flutter while you are preparing to locate - or make - OEM style is to adapt a pair - one for each belt - of parts-bin Poly-vee/serpentine spring-loaded tensioners of the sort used on MOPAR vans. One side will help, try that first with one belt off the machine. Both front and rear are needed - it is the length, not the pulley wrap.

All teasing aside, a 10EE IS top-heavy. I have mine on machinery skates, am sore keerful when moving them about to get at the engine room and such.

Also REALLY careful as to not let them get close to the downramp in the floor that drops four inches in two feet to the apron of the driveway! A 10EE can face-plant forward, backward, or even ass-over-teakettle AKA TS over HS. And it can crush you. Fatally, even. I've owned rather a lot of motorcars as weighed less.

There are threads "right here on PM" where some minders of 10EE have made extended supports and/or low-profile frames with rollers for their 10EE.

If you DO have a VFD? "Just don't go there" as to low RPM. Even HSS doesn't often need it, and Carbides will be happier in the mid and high RPM bands.

The other thing you will want to check "Real Soon, Now?"

Whether the reduction gears work as planned and without too much drama.

SPINDLE BEARINGS COST REAL MONEY. Make certain their lubricant reservoirs are properly filled. Exxon-Mobile DTE Light is your friend. A thread on PM covers all the rest, but none of the others are anywhere near as critical.

Thank you for all the info, going to start making my tensioners tomorrow and changing oils, not sure what they have in it. As far as the drive it's got original generator system and dc motor. Runs great.

Back