What's new
What's new

Rivett 1020S - varidrive belt replacement

TravisR100

Cast Iron
Anyone ever replace the belt on one of these? I have the version that uses a single belt and 2 pulleys. Don't see how it can even be done with the motor installed. Any way to spread the sheaves? Tricks? Tips? Belt spec?

I should mention the reason I'm looking at changing it is that it's slipping. The entire machine slows down when taking a moderate cut. I thought it was a motor problem at first.

Upon closer inspection I see why it's slipping. Directly above the sheave in the front is where the wiring conduit enters the casting base to take the wires up to the Forward/reverse/stop/fast slow switch box. A little bit of oil is seeping down around that conduit and dripping onto the belt/sheave. So the belt and sheaves are oily. Any suggestion on how to clean that up without removing the belt?

My Rivett leaks oil from the same spot. It's from where the feed shaft enters the gearbox.
I wired up the bottom of a plastic bottle to catch the drips. Collects maybe a tablespoon per year.
Maybe wipe everything down with a rag and alcohol or acetone ?

For anyone else ever looking for one of these belts, I was able to faintly see the original part number on the belt. It said "Dayco 64V70" and what looks like "2N" right after that. There is only ONE single reference to this belt on the Internet and it's here...

64V70 DAYCO OEM Equivalent Variable Speed Belt – V-Belt Guys

Unfortunately the page gives no further information about the belt. I gave them a call and it's a D&D 3236V369 belt. It's 2" wide and 37.7" long.

From what I can determine the first 2 numbers (32) are the width of the belt in 16ths of an inch. The second 2 numbers (36) are the sheave angle in degrees. The last 3 numbers after the V (369) are the pitch circumference to the nearest tenth of an inch.

Back