What's new
What's new

Nosepiece dimensions

I doubt anyone but Monarch has that print. Call them.

It's a crafty piece of work. Hardness was not uniform through the tool, Monarch was a master at putting material properties exactly where they wanted them with the technology known at the time.

Flame hardening anyone?

I doubt anyone but Monarch has that print. Call them.

It's a crafty piece of work. Hardness was not uniform through the tool, Monarch was a master at putting material properties exactly where they wanted them with the technology known at the time.

Flame hardening anyone?

I'd rather suspect simple 8620 and case hardening would do well-enough.

5C is GOING TO try to lobe any closer it is used with. Given time enough, eventually it succeeds.

Easy enough on draw-tube goods to bless it with an in situ regrind ever' so many years.
Or decades.

Bill

OK have the one I picked up a few years ago sitting here on my desk. It is unfinished - the D1-3 taper was never finish ground, same for the 5C. I checked the hardness of the flat facing the front of the nose which averaged about 53. And no I have not finished it yet - dont have a 4 jaw big enough to properly hold it and not sure I really trust myself to get the precision desired.

So what dimension do you need? Spindle face to end of adapter sound like overall length? And how accurate do you want the dimensions? Hand drawn sketch and I'll pull what you need?
Paul

Spindle face to end (flat on spindle - not the D taper sticking out from there) to front of nose is 3.20" dia is 3.760" taken over the knurl - widest part.
Remember this is an unground part which I assume to be original (no clue why an unfinished part wound up in the wild.

Paul

Back