What's new
What's new

pbungum's 10 ee "bearings" post (1-14-2015)-I didn't hack

sbh10

Aluminum
Didn't want to hack pbungum's post but I also have a strange noise in the headstock of my 10ee. Mine is a squeaking noise when the spindle is turned by hand. pbungum states his spindle will rotate two or three times when he spins it. Mine only rotates about 1\2-3/4 turn and stops. It is smooth but somewhat stiff. I've checked all the belts on and off and if the motor turns the noise is present. I'm wondering if the motor brake could be engaging prematurely and if so how do I fix it. Any advise appreciated. I can't hear the squeak while the lathe is running as the fan makes too much noise. I love to quieten that down someway, maybe a muffin fan.

... I'm wondering if the motor brake could be engaging prematurely and if so how do I fix it. ...
The motor brake has to have the drive powered up to operate. It works by applying voltage to the motor's field and connecting the armature to large resistors. If you're having the problem with the drive off or the belt removed, it has nothing to do with the dynamic brake.

It's possible that the nut that preloads the front bearings has been over tightened.

Cal

Thanks Guys,
Glad to learn the problem is not a motor brake. Brushes I can handle. Hope that is all it is. I'll keep digging when I can find the time.
Ron

Back