Now that my 10EE is done, what cutting tools do you recommend?
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Now that my 10EE is done, what cutting tools do you recommend?

I know this is like asking "what is the best food" or "the prettiest girl", but...

Now that my 10EE is up and running, I need to buy cutting tools. The quick change is 1/2". I'll be doing some flywheel facing and throw-out bearing boring to start. Any brands you recommend? Any that you DON'T recommend? Should I get tools with carbide inserts or stick with HSS?
    Very newbie here!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Been cutting metal 30 years, if I was starting out On a 10ee Number 1 on my list would be a 3/4” Inserted carbide boring bar, expensive but eliminates huge amount of chatter. If you are gonna do any boring. Try both inserted tools and hss both give good results

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

you can check out banggood.com for some chinese carbide indexable ones. I've ordered a few and they are not bad. there is a guy on youtube that made a video testing the cutters. i also use valenite and iscar indexable cutoff tool and kennemetal top notch.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As with all questions of this nature, "it depends". While i've never use inserted carbide, i can imagine that if you're a pro where it's all about productivity, carbine is likely your best friend. But, if you're a hobby guy and your interest is in learning as much as you can, HSS is likely your best friend. It's inexpensive, readily available, versatile, and can be ground to any profile you choose. I'm sure i'm an outlier but i find grinding tool bits to be a very cathartic activity. I find it fascinating to study the ancient guidance on tool geometry and experiment with the cutting results.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by focusrsh View Post
    Very newbie here!
    Rex AA and AAA to learn grinding

Rex 95 for just about anything

Tatung G if you THOUGHT you had already learnt grinding!

"Carbide" is for drilling the holes in a concrete wall to hang the First-Aid cabinet.

"Inserts", their holders, their "QCTP" systems are for boring holes in your bank account.

VERY "boring", Carbide is.

If you are going into all this as a "very newbie", to learn new things, why would you want to skip all the lessons that HSS can help you teach yourself?

And ever-so CHEAPLY, too...

A few .. very DAMNED few, by this late date, of my HSS cutters were ground at my own hand full SIXTY YEARS ago. And would still do what I ground them to do. Some I've bought, used, are almost certainly from grinds done by earlier craftsmen more that EIGHTY years ago. Those, too, need but a touch-up. If even. It wasn't always a "disposable world", y'see.

Mind, it's the weird-ass grinds as have set idle and survived rather than gotten used-up, but still, "used up" takes quite an age for even a partial HSS blank bought used, and..

Wuddn' yah know it?

A) HSS is at its economical very best when doing weird-ass tooling customizations!

B) Until yah learn more, they are ALL "weird ass".

Learn first.

Then you can buy Carbides and use "other people's grinds" ...only after you are ALREADY bored.

And there is no longer any fun in "winning" a contest with steel or Bronze off the skill of yer own clever hand and eye.

Can't say "I'll let you know when that happens".

Prolly die too damn suddenly to get the message typed and sent-off.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post

"carbide" is for drilling the holes in a concrete wall to hang the first-aid cabinet.
    "inserts" are for boring holes in your bank account.

Very "boring", carbide is.
    That hits home on soooo many levels & memories.