What's new
What's new

Now that my 10EE is done, what cutting tools do you recommend?

focusrsh

Aluminum
I know this is like asking "what is the best food" or "the prettiest girl", but...

Now that my 10EE is up and running, I need to buy cutting tools. The quick change is 1/2". I'll be doing some flywheel facing and throw-out bearing boring to start. Any brands you recommend? Any that you DON'T recommend? Should I get tools with carbide inserts or stick with HSS?
Very newbie here!

Been cutting metal 30 years, if I was starting out On a 10ee Number 1 on my list would be a 3/4” Inserted carbide boring bar, expensive but eliminates huge amount of chatter. If you are gonna do any boring. Try both inserted tools and hss both give good results

you can check out banggood.com for some chinese carbide indexable ones. I've ordered a few and they are not bad. there is a guy on youtube that made a video testing the cutters. i also use valenite and iscar indexable cutoff tool and kennemetal top notch.

As with all questions of this nature, "it depends". While i've never use inserted carbide, i can imagine that if you're a pro where it's all about productivity, carbine is likely your best friend. But, if you're a hobby guy and your interest is in learning as much as you can, HSS is likely your best friend. It's inexpensive, readily available, versatile, and can be ground to any profile you choose. I'm sure i'm an outlier but i find grinding tool bits to be a very cathartic activity. I find it fascinating to study the ancient guidance on tool geometry and experiment with the cutting results.

Back