What's new
What's new

Oil Level Sight Glass

Kezorm

Plastic
Just thought I'd share yet another approach to sight glass assembly. Very happy with how they turned out. This is on '43 10EE round dial, but I expect will translate to other machines.
IMG_4941.jpg

Here's the stackup of parts. O-rings to seal - no goo required. Careful not to over tighten (glass doesn't like it)
IMG_4932.jpg

Glass - 23.9mm x 2.0mm watch crystal (e.g. 2.0mm Flat Round Mineral Glass Crystal (17.0mm-35.0mm / 0.1m )
O-rings - Square profile Buna-N -019 13/16" ID, 15/16" OD, 1/16" Cross Section (e.g. McMaster-Carr )
White backplate - 3D printed in white PLA. Let me know if anyone wants STL file. 3 ears around the perimeter help retain it into the housing during assembly. The ears are slightly oversized vs. my housings and I individually trimmed them with x-acto knife for best fit into each housing. Raised ridge on the backside keeps back o-ring in place. This way it all stays together as one assembly as it is put in place.
IMG_4930.jpg
IMG_4931.jpg

Kezorm

Great looking job.
Clever idea with the 3D printed white printed background.

I have never been around a 3D printer. How long does it take you to make a part that size ?

How is your rebuild coming along ?
Hal

I have never been around a 3D printer. How long does it take you to make a part that size ?

How is your rebuild coming along ?
Hal

These take about 4 minutes to print and pennies in material. Original plan was to cut something out from sheet, but then remembered 3D printer and ended up with much better design because it holds all the pieces together while putting in place.

15 year rebuild is almost complete. Took it down to nothing 15 years ago and then life happened. Ended up with 2 different color paints and haven't gotten to tailstock yet (3rd color), but I've realized that I just need it to get it back together and stop chasing perfect. Anything is better than what I currently have for working lathes (nothing).
IMG_4947.jpg

Next big step is getting motor back in place and wiring up the drive. Custom drive still needs a bit of software work to drive the 3HP brushed DC motor.

Greg

Kezorm I think it looks great with the 2 tone honestly.

I’m with you too! I had my mill apart day one and after months sitting dealing with life I decided I needed to run it sooner then later

Paint looks good and the sight glasses are excellent, yep get'er running and use it! Never know what tomorrow brings...

Fantastic

Just thought I'd share yet another approach to sight glass assembly. Very happy with how they turned out. This is on '43 10EE round dial, but I expect will translate to other machines.
View attachment 318090

Here's the stackup of parts. O-rings to seal - no goo required. Careful not to over tighten (glass doesn't like it)
View attachment 318091

Glass - 23.9mm x 2.0mm watch crystal (e.g. 2.0mm Flat Round Mineral Glass Crystal (17.0mm-35.0mm / 0.1m )
O-rings - Square profile Buna-N -019 13/16" ID, 15/16" OD, 1/16" Cross Section (e.g. McMaster-Carr )
White backplate - 3D printed in white PLA. Let me know if anyone wants STL file. 3 ears around the perimeter help retain it into the housing during assembly. The ears are slightly oversized vs. my housings and I individually trimmed them with x-acto knife for best fit into each housing. Raised ridge on the backside keeps back o-ring in place. This way it all stays together as one assembly as it is put in place.
View attachment 318095
View attachment 318096

Fantastic idea.
How do I get your STL file?

Fantastic idea.
How do I get your STL file?

See if this works attaching to post. If not, I'll put up somewhere else or can just email.

Note that the 3 ears are probably slightly too big to fit. I did this on purpose so that I could trim down each with x-acto knife for snug fit into each housing. Done right, the assembly will hold itself together while you put it in place. And no worry if you end up trimming off too much, just print another. I would recommend ordering a few extra watch crystals. I cracked a couple. Really just need to snug them up, doesn't seem to take much to seal.

Greg

Attachments

• Sight v3.stl.zip
    12.3 KB · Views: 28
Downright cool!

Okay, so, the
2mm x 23.9mm glass is $1.75ea in quantities of 3 up.
O rings flat 13/16 x 15/16 x 1.16 McMaster Carr stock 4061T124 is $8.90 per pack of 100
PLA backing is 4 minutes in machine time and pennies... I don't have a 3D PLA... but let's say that machine is worthy of working at $60/hr, that's a dollar a minute (to pay for itself, and yeah, I have NO idea what KEZ's machine is, so this is a total W-A-G... and it just happens to be a buck-a-minnit, which is easy math)

One sight glass 'kit' would be 1.75 + 0.09 + 0.09 + 4.00... for $5.95 for a glass.

MY '42 MG machine has I THINK a total of SIX...

If someone were to 'kit' a set of six glasses for $40.00 including shipping CONUS, would that seem fair?

If anyone already has such thoughts, I'd be willing to send my pair of Andrew Jacksons your way...

If not, would anyone ELSE be interested, if so, perhaps I could twist Kez's arm to melt up a fair batch of the PLA thingies, so I can procrastinate my 3D printer purchase 'till after the new shop building is built...

If not, would anyone ELSE be interested, if so, perhaps I could twist Kez's arm to melt up a fair batch of the PLA thingies, so I can procrastinate my 3D printer purchase 'till after the new shop building is built...

For $10 towards the beer fund, I'll print up a batch and throw in some o-rings (I still have a bag of 80+). You're on your own for the watch crystals. I'd recommend a couple extra just in case you crack one like I did on the first go. Shoot me a PM if want.

So, little hiccup. I drained the middle of the headstock last night (DTE heavy medium) and the level in the sight glass didn't drop. It may have emptied on its own given a little time, but it didn't budge in the 5 minutes or so I gave it. Don't know if too thin between the glass and backplate or bottom hole too small. Probably both. I think it can still work, just need to redesign. Stay tuned...

Back