What's new
What's new

Oil line 'cement'?

pwf209

Plastic
In reading the threads about replacing the carraige oil lines I didn't find mention of what was used to 'cement' the lines in place. Does anyone have any suggestions?

The 3/32 copper line is readily available from local AC supply houses, not so the 5/32. Would 4mm be an acceptable alternate?

Also I'm having some trouble locating 3/32 ferrules for the connections to the headers, if anyone has a source for them I would appreciate a heads up.

Thanks for the help

Pat

Molten sulfur is what was used originally. When it cools , it expands and forms a good seal. Semiconductor potting compound I've heard works, and Tim is trying some "water putty". I found a white colored roof flashing caulk that seems to work well.

The 3/32 copper line is readily available from local AC supply houses, not so the 5/32. Would 4mm be an acceptable alternate?

Also I'm having some trouble locating 3/32 ferrules for the connections to the headers, if anyone has a source for them I would appreciate a heads up.

Thanks for the help

Pat

Pat, back when I did my lathe and posted pics here on this board, I discovered that copper capillary tubing was available in .093 inch OD and .040 ID. It bends easy and does not kink. Should be more durable than those steel lines. Its cheap too. Here is a link to buy some:
http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/detail.ex?sku=0458166

Jeff Major

In talking with Scott at Monarch about the cloged lines I was dealing with as mentioned in previous post. He mentioned if they can't get them clear they do dig the cement out and put in new lines. Don't know if they are using the same stuff, but maybe he can chime in on what he is using.

Jason

Thanks for the help

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Jeff- When you redid your lube lines, did you have to replace any of the larger lines also? Someone took ALL of the old lines off of my machine. Thanks for the link to the .093 tubing but its the .156 I'm having trouble with.

I left an e-mail with Monarch parts dept. I am waiting for a quote on some other parts. They may also have the line/fittings I need. That way they can send it with everything else I need.

When I replaced my lines I bought copper lines from General Bearing in LA. They had the 3/32 and 5/32 lines and compression ferrules in stock. I can't remember where I bought the meter units. Like I said, Monarch is replacing the one for the top of the apron with what I understand is a pressure regulator, if you find out what it is let the rest of us know as it sounded like a decent way to handle that one.

Jeff- When you redid your lube lines, did you have to replace any of the larger lines also? Someone took ALL of the old lines off of my machine. Thanks for the link to the .093 tubing but its the .156 I'm having trouble with.

My larger line was fine. I just did some searching on the internet and you're right, its hard to find. Here is a link where its available:

http://www.sssmodels.com/materialssupplies/materialssupplies.html

scroll down toward the bottom to find 5/32 soft copper tubing. I'm sure with some time, you can find it in other places.

Jeff Major

One Stop Shopping

It turns out Momarch had everything I was looking for in stock. It was no doubt a few bucks more than if I had found them on my own but it sure was convienent.

Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions. The ability to tap into your knowledge and experience is greatly appreciated.

Pat

I just wanted to pass along what I found to use as a substitute for the sulphur.

One of the replies to another post mentioned that molten sulphur was at one time used to anchor bolts in cement.

At work we use a product called 'Rockite', a cement and gypsum hydraulic cement. It can be mixed to a pudding like consistency that flows well and self levels to some extent. I used it to pot the lines in place and it seemed to work very well.

Thanks for all of the help.

Pat

Back