What's new
What's new

Oil sight glass cover removal.

jseals

Plastic
To give credit to whoever made the first tool to do this.....so be it.
I'm posting this because there were so many responses to removing oil sight glasses on 10EE's. This is an ugly tool, but it works. I made this little tool with available scrap and it worked great. I also had to install a DRO for my Bridgeport, and it had "Bolt Hole" computation on it.
The hard part was the accurate measurement of the holes. My measurement came out to 1.416" diameter. I drilled and tapped them for 10-24 screws. Then I removed as much metal as I could from the part. Inserting screws to the proper depth and tapping the tool in both directions worked. I did tap the edge of the retainer plate with a rubber hammer before it would loosen.
The beauty of this is if the next sight glass doesn't work right with the tool just turn the tool over and screw the screws in from the other side. It worked for all three sight glasses.
John
DSC_01550001.jpg
DSC_01570001.jpg

... I made this little tool with available scrap and it worked great. ...
The hard part was the accurate measurement of the holes. My measurement came out to 1.416" diameter. ...
Hi John,

Something's wrong here. As far as I know, all 10EEs (and many of the larger lathes) use sight glass bezels with the same basic dimensions: 1-5/8" OD with screws on a 1-1/4" diameter bolt circle. (Square-dial 10EEs use a slightly different bezel than round-dials, but the basic dimensions are the same.) BTW, the bezel comes from a time when Monarch designed and dimensioned most things in fractions of an inch; you are usually safe to round to the nearest 1/32" when trying to reverse engineer parts.

Cal

re: sight glass removal

Cal,
The last thing I want to do is send the wrong info on anything. All I know is that the tool worked perfectly....for me. I could have been off on measurement, but it didn't show in the result.
My intent was to show that using screws instead of pins might be easier, since they can be reversed. I am an amateur, and am not trying to say what should be. Thanks for the input.
John

Hi John,

I'm sorry if I sounded too harsh or critical. That's not what I was trying to do. :o

The important thing is that it works. I wish I had been thinking along the same lines when I made my tool, I could have saved some work...

Cal

tool

Cal,
I think i was only trying to show how successful this has been due to the reversability of the tool............doesn't work one way, works the other. I have no supply of pins, so sh screws were the solution for me. Don't ever worry about "harsh or critical" with me. I'll be in the learning mode 'til I die.
John

Back