What's new
What's new

OK, More Unknown Tooling - Monarch 10EE

Mac007

Aluminum
OK, so still going through the Tooling that came with the 1969 Monarch 10EE. If you know what this thing is and what its purpose is PLEASE enlighten me!!

9355EF21-2844-405E-BB98-EA130BAF8A60.jpg

And This one:
E02B77EF-D5BC-4C91-9EC1-3F9AE0EF3738.jpg
68EDFA83-317E-4C57-92ED-5F363C83C28C.jpg

2nd one is an indicator holder that bolts (usually) onto the left side of the carriage. Allows an indicator to touch off on the adjustable stop rod in the headstock.

SCOTT,
Yes these are original Monarch, and I imagine not too many people ordered them at the time. I hear they are as “rare as hen’s teeth” !

I have been studying MULTI-START THREADS and their applications. Not sure when I would be trying those.

SCOTT,
Yes these are original Monarch, and I imagine not too many people ordered them at the time. I hear they are as “rare as hen’s teeth” !

I have been studying MULTI-START THREADS and their applications. Not sure when I would be trying those.

I see a lot of multi start treads on valve stems, focusing helicoids on some camera lenses. At this point I think it is just a cool accessory to have. They don’t ever show up on eBay. As far as I have seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The first item is a tooth rest for a toll & cutter grinder. The last item-is an indexing drive plate for cutting multiple start threads. I have only seen them in photos, never a real one. Probably very rare.

I see a lot of multi start treads on valve stems, focusing helicoids on some camera lenses. At this point I think it is just a cool accessory to have. They don’t ever show up on eBay. As far as I have seen.

There have been 2 that I've seen in the past 15 years. I've got one of them.

Only time I made a multi start thread was on a worm screw for a Sheldon lathe apron.
I would sure like one of those attachments you two have!
Braggers! Show offs! Jerks! :bowdown:

I was fortunate to pick one up from a member here. I remember he made an off hand comment about one in a post and I pounced. I actually work on lenses and it might just come in handy.

How often does one actually need to machine a multi-start thread? Maybe a screw for a lathe? I suppose a worm drive?

I’ve never used the multi-start thread guide on my lathe.

And now that I write this, the next job to come through the shop will require its use so I have to eat my words.

I've only had to make a handful of multi-start threads. I've used it more as a master for the D1-3 nose to check taper in chuck mounts I make from scratch. Handy to have a clean ground master for that as I don't have a gage for D1-3.

Own a Dong Yang, Korean built Okuma licensed copy that has the slickest multi start thread setup i have ever seen.
Spindle nose is marked around its circumference with 6 timing marks.
There is a reference line on he bearing retaining ring on the head stock.

attachment.php

To use you cut the first start as normal, when finished, you rotate the spindle to the "0" mark.
Disengage the tumbler gear, the rotate the spindle forward to the reference on the spindle for the number of starts you are cutting, and re-engage the tumbler gear.
Cut the second start, and repeat for the number of starts required....setup will make 2,3,4,5 or6 starts off the spindle indexing....
No accessories required!

Cheers Ross

Back